Oil on my spark plugs

Fishfan

Reaction score
I searched the forum and found one thread about this but didn't get a definitive answer to my particular question. 66 Polara with a 318 Poly. I checked my plugs yesterday and the ones closest to the firewall on both sides were fouled with oil around the threads and the ceramic.

What's causing this? Valve cover gasket? What are the possible culprits?

Valve cover gasket is a good bet. Usually leak toward rear of block.
Used Moroso gaskets on my 360, torque bolts at 40"lbs, with torque spreaders. No leaks since October 2018 install.
20181009_162024.jpg

20181009_192224.jpg

66 Polara with a 318 Poly. I checked my plugs yesterday and the ones closest to the firewall on both sides were fouled with oil around the threads and the ceramic.

What's causing this? Valve cover gasket? What are the possible culprits?

On the INNER ceramic and threads or the EXTERNAL ceramic and threads? "Fouling" would apply to the INNER situation, making the plug needing to be cleaned and such. It it's all on the OUTSIDE, then a simple degreaser can take care of things.

Unless somebody selectively is playing a trick on you, by squirting oil specifically on the outer ceramic, hex, and threads, then there should be some wetness above the plugs, but below the valve cover flange. What about the plug wires/boots of these plugs?

Using quality valve cover gaskets on a DRY surface, as mentioned above, could be what you need, provided everything's on the outside of the cyl head.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back