Oil soaking consensus

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'll soon be replacing the hydraulic lifters in my 383 with a set of new ones.....metallic tapping sounds like one has collapsed on pass side...I know its not an exhaust leak, that sounds different from this. Question is this:

In the past have you typical soaked your lifters in oil before installing them, or
did you not bother? I can get 50 who say yes, and another 50 who say no. I can see the logic in both scenarios, BUT wondering what the consensus is here.

If so, I'll be dumping them in a tub of Quaker State shortly. Whaddaya think?

IMG_9257.jpg

IMG_9257.jpg

My one cent...
Installing lifters always mandate "pumping them up" first for several reasons. The foremost being it at least "seems" like common sense.

By the way, I learned the hard way, you bought the worst lifters commonly available. Expect a lot of valve train clatter.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Last edited:
My one cent...
Installing lifters always mandate "pumping them up" first for several reasons. The foremost being it at least "seems" like common sense.

By the way, I learned the hard way, you bought the worst lifters commonly available. Expect a lot of valve train clatter.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Don't sweat it, no apologies required. Rarely do I take information from one singular source as being THE last word or THE truth. That is why its call a consensus. Its cool.

I'm sure there's a 1000X more satisfied users than unsatisfied. If I had them already, I wouldn't sweat it.

3 to zip for soaking thus far.

I do not soak them. I install them (coated with break-in lube) check the rocker arm preload, then prime the entire engine using an oil priming tool driven by a 1/2 in. drill motor.

I won't be pulling the camshaft if that matters any, I don't see any reason to. The 383 idles properly and feels quite strong, it has not acted as if a lobe was wiped or anything like that.

Back