Oil Temp Sensor Location 3/8 NPT

Stoffauge

Reaction score
Good Morning,

do some guys of you have Oil Temp Gauges/Sensors installed? Don´t know where to put my sensor as it is a 3/8 NPT threaded sending unit from Autometer (2609 mechanical) . Drain plug won´t work there are just adapters for electrical 1/8 NPT threaded sensors.
Next to the factory pressure sensor is another possibility but I can remember the opening is smaller than 3/8 NPT (1/4 I think).

I don´t want to buy an expensive sandwich plate with opening for oil cooler etc as I don´t want/need an extra oil cooler. Just want to read the Oil temp.

Any advices for where to put the sensor or shops I´ve just oversean that sell adapters or helpful stuff ?

PS: "sell mechanical gauge and buy electrical" - comments are also allowed but maybe there´s is another solution :D :D :D

1668066748362.png

I put it in the sump of my oil pan. There are bungs available to do this. You do have to drop the pan to do it. By the sending unit will be in some sort of T then a adapter and it will be out of the engine and nor get a accurate reading on the temp since it is in the "air" and no oil flowing past it.

Oh Sry it´s a big block 383 from 1970. N-Code

I feel like I have to sell it.... .(

Had one plumbed into my Roadrunner, because I like gauges, and the oil temp is barely worth watching, very low, not very exciting for a gauge that goes to 320ºF.

This used to be the thinking on oil temp;

"

Elephant Racing • Oil Temperature and Engine Life

https://www.elephantracing.com › tech-topics › oil-tem...

Properly maintained 911 engines can last over 300,000 miles when oil temperature is kept in the optimal 180°-210°F range. As oil temperature rises engine ..."

And nowadays "everything you know is wrong", it's now ok or better to have your oil way hotter, and also to change it at 7500 miles rather than 3000, none of these things making an engine last longer.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 5.40.59 AM.png

Back