Oil viscosity and type for a 426 street wedge

dammstrate

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Sport Fury with an original block 426 and 4 spd. Haven't changed the oil since I have had it (but check it regularly), maybe 2000 miles has been driven. Edelbrock heads, intake and carb. 10.5:1 supposedly, dynoed at 408 hp at 5100. Old standard 10W-40, or a newer 0-20W synthetic?

So many factors to consider, location, weather, usage/daily driver, oil pump type (high volume, high pressure or stock), camshaft type, lifters, etc. Ultimately not knowing any of these I say dance with who brung ya.

The traditional 10-40w oils no longer have a high enough ZDDP content to prevent the camshaft from wearing excessively. If you use a diesel service rated oil such as Valvoline 15-40w, Shell Rotella 15-40w or Chevron Delo 15-40w, all of the have high enough zinc content for your engine. As mentioned the Valvoline VR1 high zinc is also an excellent oil. The zinc content was dropped from most traditional oils because it does not play well with catalytic converters, it "poisons" the insides of them to where they are no longer reactive. I would suggest that you stay away from zinc additives that are sold seperately as the tend to settle out of the motor oil if the vehicle is not driven often.
Synthetic oils are usually not a good idea unless the engine is fresh. Synthetics have very high detergent qualities that tend to break loose all the accumulated crud in the engine, often with catastrophic results.

Dave

I use Shell Rotella 15/40 in my flat tappet camshaft engines. Very little signs of wear with some significant 1/4 mile use and mild street use. Not sure of your configuration but for my old school flat tappet engines it has worked very well.

By the way....a '65 fury with a nice wedge in it sounds like a blast.

Take care and good luck.

Mark

Give these guys a call BND Automotive they will custom make oil for your application. The guys with the hi horse new hemis seem to like their products

bnd has the worst website. who today has a site where you cant order from?

Back