ok the motor has to come out help please

saylor

Reaction score
hi all - ok I want to pull the motor and transmission out of this bad boy. I haven't pulled a v8 motor before.. the only motor I ever did was an 85 Honda crx... kinda different. So I know all the crap has to come off the engine, alt, fan, radiator out, etc,. Disconnect driveshaft. unhook exhaust at the donuts. Remove breather and carb , , ,theres a question - remove intake too? is that where the hoist / eye bolts will attach is the head bolts? OK so whats left? 2 lower motor mounts one on each side? Ive never pulled a transmission.. I want to pull the whole thing out at once attached to the engine like on TV :). Whats holdin it? Crossmember? what else? I know to block it up, etc. I just don't know where all its attached to the car to get that sucker out.

I think before you get any deeper into this you need to get yourself a service manual and read it like a nudie magazine. You can take it out in one piece CAREFULLY, there are bolts holding the trans crossmember in place. It splits apart in the center between the torsion bars. Hope this helps. P.S. put a dummy yoke shaft in the end of the trans or you will have tranny oil everywhere!

I think before you get any deeper into this you need to get yourself a service manual and read it like a nudie magazine. You can take it out in one piece CAREFULLY, there are bolts holding the trans crossmember in place. It splits apart in the center between the torsion bars. Hope this helps. P.S. put a dummy yoke shaft in the end of the trans or you will have tranny oil everywhere!

I've found it easier to unbolt the trans mount instead of the cross member, rather than sticking a dummy yoke in, duct tape a latex/nitrile glove around the tailshaft.

Nick

In the picture below I duct taped a rag around the tail shaft.

I've found it easier to unbolt the trans mount instead of the cross member, rather than sticking a dummy yoke in, duct tape a latex/nitrile glove around the tailshaft.

Nick

In the picture below I duct taped a rag around the tail shaft.

Front clip on vs. front clip off, clip off is much easier! Never been there yet.

Don't forget to unload the ''t'' bars if you drop the cross member.

Interesting stuff....

I have never reduced the load on the bars when removing a trans.... Makes sense, but never did it

thanks. I have. but im still asking the forum what to do :)..... a book can only get you so far, then you got to get in there and get dirty :)

I would just separate the engine from the tranny. It's a whole lot easier & you then don't have to remove the crossmember. Just drop the tranny straight down & lift the engine straight up. Should require very little cussing.

I agree with stormer. If you're going to do both at once you've got to have an engine hoist that will lift pretty high or some friends on hand to lift the tailshaft up. Separate the engine and trans you pull the engine and put it right on the stand rather then have to set the whole thing down on the ground, separate the two and pick back up to put it on the stand. No need to remove the intake to pull the engine. It's much easier to separate the torque converter from the flex plate while its still in the car.

If you haven't bought an engine stand yet........spend the extra couple of bucks and get the heavy duty engine stand. Well worth the money.

sweet info. no i havent bought the stand yet, and i have been thinking about the motor / transmission seperately too.. thats a good call there.
The front clip is still on the car, ,and i wasnt planning on taking it off unless i had to. I wont be doing anything until the weekend at least, so no hurry to get this done soon or anything. I'll study some more!

If you haven't bought an engine stand yet........spend the extra couple of bucks and get the heavy duty engine stand. Well worth the money.
I would recommend a stand with 4 wheels..... the 3 wheel type will tip faster then you can move you feet.

Engine r&r

This is my perfered method.........

upandunder (Large).jpg

Back