Old Dealer Codes

With the number of dealership openings, closings, consolidating, selling, etc., this list is only as accurate as that quarter. A dealership that existed in the summer of 68 may have changed hands, name and location by the fall of 69.

My car was sold as a demonstrator to one of their mechanics by R.O. Gould Chrysler Plymouth. From what I've found out the previous tenant was another CP (Ray Vines Chrysler?) dealer of dubious character who lost their franchise in 1968?

R.O. Gould Chrysler Plymouth.jpg

I'm not near a decent computer right now to check (can hardly see these little buttons on cell phone). By chance, anybody have a list with dealer code #6053 or #7306 on them . . . ?

I, too, attempted to compile a list - and I do still add dealership codes into it, whenever I come across them, especially the older ones.

It would be great if you could tell which older codes you have been able to add to the 1986 file.

Will try to share the codes I have. Probably will be a lot of duplicates, with a few new ones. May take me a little while - I am in the process of moving, and everything is a mess around here.
Not sure of the best way, since can't upload files onto this forum. Maybe a list of the numbers, and can PM me for details, if any of them are of interest to somebody???
Again, the real score would be that 1967 list. I'd bet that'd cover 95% of the codes we're looking for!

The following, from the Forward Look forum, may explain that huge difference between the amount of dealership codes in actual use at a given point of time and the number of codes theoretically available:

"I worked for Chrysler. I NEVER heard of a dealer code number being recycled. The code drove so many things, but especially invoicing and shipping information for cars and parts, that it would be crazy to reuse codes.
Existing dealer codes could (but were not required for) change in a dealer principal change, depending on how the buy sell was structured. If a new dealer was willing to assume a past dealers inventory, parts invoices, etc. then the code did not change. However, this generally was somewhat rare. Most dealers wanted and got a clean break from the old dealers business, hence a new code."

It says some other interesting things as well in that thread.

Last edited:
In an overview of the evolution of Chrysler dealerships the number of 6,200 domestic franchises is given for 1966. Because of poor sales 300 of them were closed around 1975. Come to think of it, "my" dealership also gave up its franchise in 1975.

With a margin for new dealerships receiving new codes the task of digging up the dealership codes for the 1965-1978 period boils down to about 6,500 codes to come up with. Any volunteers?

From a court case, here is an interesting read on the relationship of Chrysler Corporation (the defendant) and a dealership (the plaintiff) around 1975. It starts off somewhat dry, the exciting part comes later on:

"Since 1965, the purchase of new vehicles from Chrysler was financed, or "floor planned," through Chrysler Credit Corporation [hereinafter Chrysler Credit], a subsidiary of defendant. By virtue of a power of attorney given by plaintiff, Chrysler Credit Corporation would automatically pay defendant on behalf of plaintiff for all new vehicles, and would then place the vehicles on plaintiff's floor plan line of credit, unless for one or more reasons the line of credit was suspended or withdrawn. When a vehicle placed on plaintiff's floor plan of credit was sold to a customer, plaintiff was obligated to pay Chrysler Credit for the wholesale charges. Chrysler Credit billed the dealership monthly for wholesale finance charges.

In 1974, Mr. Kirby's dealership sold 168 new vehicles and earned a profit of $24,129.27. The following year, however, plaintiff's sales fell to 88 new vehicles, and the dealership recorded a loss of $11,440.00. In February 1976, Chrysler Credit placed the dealership on financial hold, a procedure where Chrysler Credit stopped the funding of purchases of new vehicles from Chrysler, because Mr. Kirby had sold seven vehicles to retail customers without repaying Chrysler Credit for the wholesale price of the vehicles. This was known as being "out-of-trust." Mr. Kirby was told that he could lose his dealership if he did not pay Chrysler Credit for the vehicles as to which he was out-of-trust. Chrysler Credit temporarily floor planned several of plaintiff's used vehicles, and plaintiff borrowed $48,000 and invested the proceeds into the dealership to pay Chrysler Credit. Plaintiff also hired Harry C. Williams as sales manager for the dealership in the hope that Williams would help plaintiff with his inventory and cash flow problems, and eventually buy into the dealership.

Vehicles for which plaintiff had not placed orders began arriving in the summer of 1976 during the 1976 model year build-out program. The build-out program is the period from May to September in which dealers attempt to sell their inventory of the outgoing model year vehicles, at a loss, if necessary, in order to make room for the new model year vehicles.

The sale of unordered vehicles was a common practice at this time in the Washington Zone. Mr. Robert C. Kackley, a Chrysler dealer during this period in Salisbury, Maryland, and competitor of plaintiff, was the representative for the nineteen dealers in the Salisbury District to the Washington Zone Dealer Council. The Washington Dealer Council was the representative body of Zone dealers which brought items of general dealer interest and concern to the attention of Chrysler's Washington Zone officials, with whom it met periodically. His uncontroverted testimony was that District Managers would telephone dealers from hotel rooms and put pressure on them to order vehicles from the Sales Bank. The Sales Bank was a pool of vehicles manufactured by defendant without dealers first submitting orders, and held in reserve on storage lots. Vehicles from the Sales Bank could be ordered without submitting a written order form. Typically, the vehicles in the Sales Bank were "dogs" larger, harder to sell vehicles. The District Managers would refuse to fill orders from dealers for more popular models, or "kittens", unless the dealer agreed to order "dogs". Even if the dealer refused to order vehicles from the Sales Bank, they were delivered to his dealership and placed on his floor plan with Chrysler Credit. This practice was referred to as the "slugging" of vehicles."

Last edited:
In an overview of the evolution of Chrysler dealerships the number of 6,200 domestic franchises is given for 1966.

This puts exact numbers on the net total of Imperial, Chrysler, Plymouth and/or Dodge (Trucks) dealerships:

1965 - 6,506
1966 - 6,421
1967 - 6,282
1968 - 6,217
1969 - 6,038
1970 - 5,688
1971 - 5,485
1972 - 5,418
1973 - 5,323
1974 - 5,142
1975 - 4,839
1976 - 4,811
1977 - 4,822

Just in case somebody cares to know.

I know this isn't the most user-friendly format, but here is a list of the dealer codes that I have verified. Some are already out there, but some aren't on any of the other lists that I have. If any of these codes are of interest, just PM me, and I can give you the rest of the info I have . . .
20201010_103444.jpg

Just FYI, in case you're wondering where my list comes from. I've actually been playing-around with this project for a little while now, by going through old documents wherever I can find them. Old warranty cards are good, dealer invoices, window stickers, parts labels, etc. Nothing hi-tech about it, I just enjoy going through this old paperwork, and learning whatever I can. I try and focus on mid-60s through mid-70s, since that's where most of our (my) interest lies . . .

I have the dealer numbers off the IBM card photos I received from FCA Historical, one is 17000, but isn't in their records. It's the only car I wanted to know where it came from, I will look at the Certicard to see if it's on there.

I have the dealer numbers off the IBM card photos I received from FCA Historical, one is 17000, but isn't in their records.

Codes in the range 15000 -19999 are rarely seen. Must be something very special.

On another forum (close to the bottom of the page) the code 15209 is discussed. First it is assigned to a dealership, but then it goes: "I see 22 locations with that same dealer code with different names & locations located in Eugene, Portland, Salem, OR & Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, WA and others". That makes me think that we are dealing with something else than a code for a single dealership.

Your code 17000 is not so far off from 15209, so maybe it also is something else than a normal dealership code. And I have a note saying "17000 (region 12)". Region 12 is not a normal geographical zone, so it's likewise something else.

Last edited:
On another forum (close to the bottom of the page) the code 15209 is discussed. First it is assigned to a dealership, but then it goes: "I see 22 locations with that same dealer code with different names & locations located in Eugene, Portland, Salem, OR & Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, WA and others". That makes me think that we are dealing with something else than a code for a single dealership.

Your code 17000 is not so far off from 15209, so maybe it also is something else than a normal dealership code. And I have a note saying "17000 (region 12)". Region 12 is not a normal geographical zone, so it's likewise something else.
Do you have a map, or details of region 12?

Nothing tangible. Think of it as region 15 "Company Car".

Maybe this helps. It's from the 2008 Sales Codes list, but the geographical US regions from 31 upwards fit the 1986 Dealer Directory.

Zone 10-Export
Zone 11-Chrysler Corporation-Consign
Zone 12-Fleet-Lease
Zone 13-Chrysler Credit
Zone 14-Fleet-Demo
Zone 15-Chrysler Corporation-Misc
Zone 16-Chrysler Corporation-Asg
Zone 19-U.S.Built For Mexico Sales
Zone 21-Canada-Ontario
Zone 22-Canada-Quebec
Zone 23-Canada-Atlantic
Zone 24-Canada-Prairie