Old stuff you still use.

DSC04793.JPG

My Mom owned a Dairy Queen for 25 years in the 60's/ 70's into the 80's. Part of my upbringing, get out of school and go to work at the Dairy Queen.
This Hamilton Beech malt dispenser was old when she bought the store, dates to the 40's. My best momento to those days. Although still fully functional, it now is primarily on display in my home. (How many malts can one drink anyways).

Old post office counter that was used to sort mail. It was filled with metal dividers, my wife and I removed them and now she uses it in her craft room. Date is difficult to read.
Resized_20161118_195343.jpg
20161117_154852.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any pic's of them, but I have quite a few vintage Craftsman tools from my Grandpa. I also have some other old socket sets. How many of you have Cornwell tools? I have some sockets, ratchets and extensions from Grandpa also. The thing I love the most about these tools is I always think about him whenever I use them.
Be careful with those, my neighbor had a load of old Craftsman tools that were stolen. Lets just say the new ones are not the same level of quality from back then.

I much prefer old tools, like you all. This'll be fun, here are a few of them:
~1910 Seneca Falls 10" Lathe
IMG_0522.JPG

1940 Sheldon 11" Lathe
DSC00387.JPG

1960s Craftsman 150 Drill Press (pay no nevermind to the 2000 Mustang in the background....)
DSC00375.JPG

1950s Homecraft Drill Press (and HC bench grinder in the background Dad bought new)
20170727_175452.jpg

1950s 7" Ammco Shaper and 1920s Reed Vise in the background
20190515_120849.jpg

1957 Singer 111W155 Industrial Sewing Machine (recent project was a headliner for the Sport Fury)
IMG_0428.JPG

dsc00375-jpg.jpg

1960s Craftsman 150 Drill Press (pay no nevermind to the 2000 Mustang in the background....)

No problem. I've got one to. 2005 vert. If Chrysler would have offered a rear wheel drive vert the Mustang wouldn't be there.
Nice collection of tools. All look to be in service.

That's an impressive lineup you have there.
That photo slipped through. You must have grabbed it soon after my initial posting, as I thought I'd edited it out. I do use two of the pictured vises, the Reed (second from the right in the above photo), and the little silver Columbian in the center of that photo. The others are "spares" I picked up for cheap, mostly free, over the years. The big Reed was $100 and the little Columbian was $45.

Take your pick. Almost everything in my house has been here since before 1975. A testament to old quality. I replaced the linoleum kitchen floor, and the fridge died about two months ago. Other than that, the stuff just keeps going and going.
20190204_231000.jpg
20181203_003425.jpg
20190420_200247.jpg
20190112_214924.jpg

Stuff that works. I was lucky enough to see Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson in Spokane WA at the Bing Crosby theater a year or two before he passed. Got an autographed CD.

My dad was 18 when he lost his dad in 1935 in the middle of the great depression. He became the bread winner for his mother and 3 younger sisters. This was small town MooseJaw Saskatchewan and the only work he could find was at the meat packers where he made wieners and baloney, neither of which were ever allowed in his house for the rest of his life. Anyhow, extreme frugality was law, nothing was ever thrown out, it would be patched and or fixed until there was no hope, then the bones were saved as "might need this someday" parts. I grew up surrounded by "might need this someday" parts and learned at a very early age how to "fix" things, not necessarily to factory specs, but functional if you were careful. LOL

To this day I seldom throw anything away. If it can't be repaired, it gets completely disassembled and all interesting parts are shelved and all screws, bolts, etc go into one of my gallon pails to be sorted later into parts drawers. Its a disease for which there isn't a cure. :wideyed:

So to answer the "old stuff you still use" question, my answer is all of it!
:thumbsup:

Back