Old Time Radio - OTR anyone else like old radio programs?

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
OT but do any of you like Old Time Radio (OTR) programs?

I like suspense/drama personally and some comedy like Jack Benny but would like to hear about other programs others like and why if there are any other OTR nuts like me here.

I first discovered and started listening to CBS Radio Mystery Theater back in the late 70's when I got a small transistor radio for Christmas.

I love the mystery, suspense, thriller genre and the internet / cell phones have given me a new device / perfect medium to listen to them on. The cell phone is the real key because I can listen to the programs anywhere and anytime I have spare time, am waiting in line or dr's office etc (I hate waiting with a passion) for something, time to kill. travel/flying. I plan to download many of these programs to my phone for travel and other boredom filled times... perfect while flying (no internet) or when I have no one to talk to and nothing to occupy myself with because no one talks to strangers anymore.

I'm most partial to E.G. Marshall and the CBSRMT programs (creaking door ... Welcome, Come in) but also enjoy the program SUSPENSE and have been listening to a lot of those lately. I've also started listening to GUNSMOKE and like THE SHADOW.

Here are some sources to listen to OTR shows if you are so inclined. You can search for other programs if you like.

Suspense 01 : Suspense : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/thriller/suspense

CBS Radio Mystery Theater : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Here is an excellent 1937 version of Les Miserables with Orson Welles as Jean Val-jean. (the wife and I love this play/movies/speaking and musical versions).

Orson_Welles_4.jpg

and I'm sure most of you have heard or at least heard of this

been thinkin about similar stuff..something to listen to while driving or working...the classical and opera l listen to drives my guys batty...

Thanks Critter. I think it's perfect for driving or any time when you are not actively thinking about something, on the internet, or anything else that requires concentration or is a distraction. I really can't listen to the programs other than driving, (highway or interstate which is almost instinctive), sitting quietly, waiting etc, or do anything else or its just background noise.

I was a big fan of Jean Shepherd as a kid and used to listen to his radio show on NPR. I loved Jack of course and the suspense /drama radio shows.

i had a bunch dl'ed and burned to disc, until my 6 disc cd changer h/u decided to crap out on me and i lost all the discs in there :-(

been wanting to listen to more of them lately

I went through a phase of old radio shows because a Music of your life station played them. I drained the library of books on Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Al Jolson, Fannie Brice and others. It's a great era of entertainment and radio.

i had a bunch dl'ed and burned to disc, until my 6 disc cd changer h/u decided to crap out on me and i lost all the discs in there :-(

been wanting to listen to more of them lately

click the links above then and have at it.

I went through a phase of old radio shows because a Music of your life station played them. I drained the library of books on Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Al Jolson, Fannie Brice and others. It's a great era of entertainment and radio.

Do you like any drama / suspense type series? If so which ones?

Do you like any drama / suspense type series? If so which ones?

I was more into the comedy. B&A, Fibber McGee, etc. Fred Allen was ok. I've listened to some Shadow. It's well produced but I like the comedy better.

Which suspense / drama radio shows do you like best?

I have no idea,,all I remember was I was on the road alot going from Boston to NYC in the 1970's and there was always one on AM radio and we always got a kick out of listening to them when we weren't blasting Led Zeppelin on our car cassette deck.

I have no idea,,all I remember was I was on the road alot going from Boston to NYC in the 1970's and there was always one on AM radio and we always got a kick out of listening to them when we weren't blasting Led Zeppelin on our car cassette deck.

Good chance it might have been CBS Radio Mystery Theater ... always began with a creaking door opening and finished with it closing at the end of the program

Good chance it might have been CBS Radio Mystery Theater ... always began with a creaking door opening and finished with it closing at the end of the program

Yes that was it. I remember that.

Back