old vinyl top question

saylor

Reaction score
dudes -

I have a black vinyl top on my car, and before I bought it someone took a knife to the top and cut a few lines in it. over the summer the top has shrunk and now the knife cuts are an inch wide. I can see metal underneath, and it looks body color (white). I've never R&R 'd a vinyl top before... and its gonna start raining here in a month or so and I don't want to rust out the roof metal more than it already is.

I don't have the cash to put a new top on right now. so the question is what do I do in the meantime?
should I peel the top off totally and just roll around bald for a while?
should I peel the top then spraybomb primer where the top was until I can get a new top?
how much of a PITA is taking a top off? something tells me its gonna suck eggs..
can the chrome edge trim stay on without the vinyl top in place?
do I have a chance of breaking a window glass trying to peel off the top?

dudes -
I can see metal underneath, and it looks body color (white). I've never R&R 'd a vinyl top before.I don't have the cash to put a new top on right now. so the question is what do I do in the meantime?
should I peel the top off totally and just roll around bald for a while?
QUOTE]
It should be not much trouble peeling the top off. Removing the chrome trim around the glass and drip rails is the worst part of that. The top should be body color under the vinal
and unless there are "bubbles" evedent in the vinal should be ok to leave bare.
Don't use tools near the glass and you'll be fine... If the vinal is "trapped" by the glass then cut it with a sharp knife or box cutter. You can then reinstall the chrome.

If the black top has a gloss finish and you cannot afford/knowledge to tear it off, then purchase a caulk gun tube of black silicone caulk. It is more durable than latex caulk. Put a thin layer and smooth it out with a wide putty knife or spatula. This will get you by until a better time to replace the vinyl top.

damn its gonna rain here in 2 days and I have done nothing :/

im scared. I know its going to be ugly under there.

I did buy a plastic tarp to get me thru the winter anyway..

heres my idea -
cut most of the top off, going around the edge pretty much.
sillycone the edge I just cut, leaving the vinyl under the roof edge window trim, pillars, etc.
scrape roof where I just removed the top from.
primer exposed parts of roof with cheap *** black primer.

any comments? im just not sure if all that effort ^^ is any better than leaving on what I have on. . I just want to try to preserve/prevent more rust until I have the $ to fix it and put a new top back on.

rusty-driver-quarter.jpgrusty-passenger-quarter.jpg here are some pics of the issue..

rusty-driver-quarter.jpg

rusty-passenger-quarter.jpg

place burrito in microwave silver side UP. Microwave on HIGH for 7-9 minutes. Let product stand 5 minutes before serving.
Mix sauce packet in 1-quart mixing bowl or other container. Serves 6 comfortably.
plymouth-burrito.jpg

BRING ON TEH RAINZ!!!1

plymouth-burrito.jpg

welp, it rained pretty good yesterday. it hasn't rained in about 2 months maybe? anyways the burrito wrap stayed on..im gonna go out in a few and unwrap it and see if it stayed dry underneath.

after seeing the pictures of the damaged areas, anyone been here done this before and can suggest how to proceed?

I was serious. The tint is hideous.
The glass has to come out anyway to do a vinyl top correctly.

I've never seen one with a seam down the center. Is that a factory vinyl top?

Imps where the only ones with ctr seam right. I drove my challenger around a couple of years with top off spray bomb black for color and protection. When you go to put new top on make sure the paint you put under is good quality and cured for at least a month or baked, 3M super trim adhesive will lift uncured paint like paint stripper. I know this first hand what a PITA.

polara pictures 056.jpgIMG_4217.jpgIMG_3917.jpg

I thought the same thing about tint when dad was looking at his car, the tint was awful on the car, or I thought. Now with the wheels and dressed his way it looks nice and helps keep the car cool.

polara pictures 056.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

My 1978 NYB has a center seam on the vinyl as does the 1976-1978 NYB's I believe. 1978 Newport had 2 seams.

View attachment 17881View attachment 17882View attachment 17883

I thought the same thing about tint when dad was looking at his car, the tint was awful on the car, or I thought. Now with the wheels and dressed his way it looks nice and helps keep the car cool.

Your Dad's car looks great.....I thought it should of won First Place in our class at Carlisle.

I'm going to put that 3M Crystalline tint on NYB very soon. UV's is killing our interiors. I'm probably not going to put it on the windshield for now......because of those scuffing/lines I have.

I want that 3m film, too. But Im looking at pulling the heads. Don't know which should get the financial priority

Posted via Topify using Android

Your NYB is garaged....I would probably do the heads first.

Back