On '74 AT-II, can you use heater without running compressor?

Mid70's Chrysler Fanatic

Reaction score
My T&C got nice and warm with the Auto Temp II set accordingly - and then the a/c compressor seized. So guess what happens when the clutch engages.

My question: Can I just disconnect the clutch solenoid and run the heater like a car that isn't equipped with a/c? I could just try it but I figured someone here has already been there, done that. Besides, if the whole English-speaking world was familiar with these systems, people would say, "Hey, it ain't Auto Temp," instead of, "Hey, it ain't rocket science."

Unplug the compressor. There is a plug on the blue wire going into the compressor clutch assembly. The Heater should still work assuming it was working properly before the compressor self destructed, you will just not have a dehumidifier for the defroster. You auto temp function will probably also not be as accurate because the blend function may sometimes use cold air coming off the evaporator mixed with warm air coming off the heater to maintain a preset temperature.

Dave

Last edited:
My T&C got nice and warm with the Auto Temp II set accordingly - and then the a/c compressor seized. So guess what happens when the clutch engages.

My question: Can I just disconnect the clutch solenoid and run the heater like a car that isn't equipped with a/c? I could just try it but I figured someone here has already been there, done that. Besides, if the whole English-speaking world was familiar with these systems, people would say, "Hey, it ain't Auto Temp," instead of, "Hey, it ain't rocket science."

I ALWAYS ditch the AC when I buy any ride from the Golden Age. Helps that I had a dealer-installed AC, making it easier to separate the AC from the heater. I had a 4 button vac switch on the heater. Kept the nice shiny chromed buttons but those switches run dear and I can just turn the shaft the vacuum bellows is still attached to if I want to change how the heater works.

To wit: DO IT! ITS EASY!

Back