One more for the navy......

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I've been experiencing a sporatic charging issue with the Admiral since getting him. I had to jump start once on the way home, but it was fine for the rest of the trip.
Everything worked fine most of the time but every now and then the turn signals would run VERY slow, or not at all, and after a couple days the starter would drag and the battery would go dead.
I checked the charging volts a couple of times.... 14.5.
Night before last I was driving home and started to lose my lights. I drove the last 6 miles with the lights off so the car would stay running, (two lane windy country roads):whew:.
Next day I charged the battery and started looking around.
The car is a factory A/C car that came to me missing the compressor and some brackets. I noticed it had a newer, dual stator alternator and that there were two identical green wires with black (factory) connectors, one pluged into each stator brush. ODD. I traced one to the reg and the other was the A/C compressor power wire. DUH.......
What was happening was that when I was using the heater controls the extra stator was grounding through the heater switch, until I pushed the "OFF" button, lost the ground and the charging system stopped working.
The guy who did this is a Navy electrician on a Nuclear Submarine. I've corrected four other "jury rigged" issues by this fellow and his Nuclear Sub machinist buddy on this car so far.
The Admiral is getting better with each repair to the repair I make.

Last edited:
Back