One project leads to another ?

Timsnewporttwin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was checking out replacing the transmission lines on my 65 Newport the other day. While under there I noticed a rubber boot on the torsion bar had separated from its place. Its right where the bar goes into the mount.
Figure I'll clean out the grease put fresh in best I can and use a clamp to hold boot in place. Question, is this an immediate concern I should take care of ? I assume the rubber dried out after all these years.

Thanks,
tim

Yes, A Concern as it is the grease inside that boot which keeps the rear of the torsion bar from fracturing with time and such. As I understand it, the '57s had issues with torsion bar breakage while driving, with some resultant crashes. No seals on those earlier ones. Seals happened soon thereafter! With grease in them.

New seals are available. Advisable to remove the bars (using the correct special tool for such!!), clean the index areas in the crossmember and on the bar too, then install new seals, pack with grease, and reassemble according to the FSM.

You might start by getting the OEM Chrysler part numbers (www.mymopar.com, free-download the parts book) so you know what you need and a vendor might cross the OEM part number into their catalog listings. Might check www.rockauto.com, too. Otherwise, a Mopar-focused vendor as Dante's, Van's, Mancini, or similar, most probably.

To change the seal the torsion bar needs to be removed. Not a fun job. Your first idea was good.

Back