One step closer...

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got word from the mechanic today that my 440 is back from the rebuilder. Woo hoo! Couple of more weeks to go and my 68 300 convertible will be back on the road.
File_002.jpeg

Wish I had some better 'before' pics, but here she is on her way to the mechanic back in May:

Tow day.jpeg

Engine upgrades will include a FiTech EFI and upgraded MSD ignition system. The car carries a salvage title so I never had a strong desire to make it stock (I know this will offend some on this site), just a reliable cruiser that the family and I can enjoy on the weekend.

Next on the list is wheels. Going with Magnum 500s but keeping the 1" whites. I am hoping for some input on width... diameter is 15"

I am doubtful that is a correct color blue, but it does stick with the overall theme of the car. Metallic sky blue, with navy interior. Engine will include black valve covers and the MSD gear is from their all black models. FiTech throttle body is also matte black. Here is a pic from the internet that I have been using for 'inspiration' (again, knowing full well this style isn't for every one).

Engine Example.jpg

Nice! Interesting build, I'll be following. I'm a stock guy at heart but, as I always say, "It's your car, build it how you want." I'm sure this will be a fine ride when finished. Keep us posted!

Keep it up. I have a Holley Sniper on my 66 300. I love it! What are you doing for fuel? I have a RobbMC unit as I wanted to be able to easily go back to the carb if I wanted to. Not that I would unless I get the wild urge to sell. I also was having trouble with my kickdown linkage so I dropped in a lokar cable kickdown for a 727. I still have the stock one on there for looks.

What are you doing for fuel?

Good question... I hadn't really thought of it. Prior to this work, I ran on super unleaded (~90 octane or so). I assumed I'd do the same. From what I can tell, it seems I generally need to stay away from ethanol. But I am open to suggestions.

And I hate to admit it, but my mechanic is doing all the heavy lifting with the rebuild. I would love to share any linkage suggestions you have with them. I want this to go as smooth as possible out of the gate.

Thanks for your input. Pics coming as soon as I get her back.

Well this has certainly been a sloooow process, but I got an update from the mechanic today. The engine is still not back in the car, but coming back together nicely. I am particularly fond of the MSD all black distributor.
Engine 2.jpeg

Engine 2 dist.jpeg

And soon the FiTech EFI will be sitting on top of this bad boy!

FiTech.jpeg

I am getting so excited.

Well the steps of this rebuild are small, but progressing in the right direction. The engine is now finally back in the car, still a long way to go, but progress none the less.

Engine3.jpeg

Got word from the mechanic today that my 440 is back from the rebuilder. Woo hoo! Couple of more weeks to go and my 68 300 convertible will be back on the road.
View attachment 137959

Very impressed and interested in your build. I'm about ready to start down the same road with a rebuilt 440 and installation in my '66 300 convertible.

What cam did you select for your build?

What cam did you select for your build?

I will get you all the specifics when I hear back from the shop. But in simple language, I elected for a "moderate" cam based on the recommendation of the machine shop. I was originally headed down the path of just wanting a mild cam because I always looked at this car as a cruiser, but when he heard I was putting on an EFIhe strongly suggested the moderate upgrade to the cam. In his words "horsepower is addicting!" He knows that once I feel the responsiveness of the EFI, I'd regret not having the more aggressive cam. I also upgraded the valves per his suggestion, I will get you more details on that as well.

Fingers crossed I will be able to post some videos of start up and driving down the road. We are having some really great convertible weather here in Northern CA right now.

Back