Only one brake light works

Before messing with the steering column and turn signal switch I would check to make sure the bulb is good first. Either a new bulb or switch the one that is working with the one that is not working. Then make sure you have voltage from the brake light wire to the light bulb socket. Check continuity to ground... the wire may be shorted to ground. Also check to make sure you have a proper ground to light bulb socket.

brake lights

Before messing with the steering column and turn signal switch I would check to make sure the bulb is good first. check to make sure you have a proper ground to light bulb socket.

It's likely the turnsignal switch at the column. The brake and turn signal share the same bulb element so likely the bulb is working fine.

I have the same problem with my 64 Dodge crewcab. The right brake light will not illuminate under normal use. BUT...! If I turn on my left trun signal the right brake light works. Also..... I found that if I turn on the Left OR Right signal before stepping on the brake pedal... then turn off the signal... Both brake lights will illuminate.

I have run across a NOS turn signal switch a couple of times on eBay but it seems someone always wants it more than I do.

It should not be to diffacult to locate a new switch.... I heard someone may be repoping them now.

Its not bulbs, I replaced every single bulb I could find when I bought the car. and its not a bad ground, I replaced the corroded sockets. Ill fiddle with the turn signal switch when I go to replace the steering wheel

It would have been impossible for it to have been a bulb.
Both the brake light and the turn signal use the same bright higher wattage filament inside the bulb over the std. lower wattage tail light filiment.
The brake light circuit goes THROUGH the turn signal.
That is so if the brake light circuit is complete (brake applied) it is then interrupted by the turn signal flasher/relay and the tail lamp still flashes even though the brakes is applied.
It HAS to be IN the turn signal assembly. No, if's ands, nor buts about it.
Get in there, dude.

I don't drive a lot everyday, I live so close to work. And with this mild winter, I've been riding my bikes to work. When I do take Donna out for a spin, I stay in the neighborhood, just goin' to a friends house or somethin.

No, if's ands, nor buts about it.

Maybe an if. I vaguely recall that in my 65 Newport the brake bulbs are separate from the turn signal bulbs. It has ~3 bulbs on each side. The turn signal switch is also different than my former 69 Dart since the cam doesn't have the 2 wires that I think are for the brake/turn interrupt thing people are talking about.

That said, I thought I wired my 65 Dart correctly when I rebuilt the column, dash harness, and rear harness, but now only 1 stop light comes on and the turn signals are reversed. If I find anything relevant when I go back in there I'll relate.

Back