Opinion to rebuild carb or buy new, have a intake manifold leak to

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Have a 68 Chrysler newport convertible. 383 with factory 4 barrel and dual exhaust. It starts and generally drives fine but the carb does Need to be rebuilt. I also have a leak in the intake manifold gasket. It's just a cruiser car but I do love power. I don't intend to go crazy on the engine for now but debating on if I should just replace the gasket and rebuild the carb or of I should get an edelbrock intake and 750 carb and just redo that whole top area. The car did have some work done a while back from previous owner and had a mild cam upgrade done.also I have factory ac which I heard could cause bracket mounting issues with a replacement manifold having the choke relocated from factory Peyton

20181006_193835.jpg

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents.. if your looking to keep it OE in appearance, rebuild what you have. If you’re looking for a plug and play, I did the Edelbrock Carb and intake combo and am happy.. easy Peezy 1-2-3. Install and enjoy.

If you go with new, you don't need a 750 for a stock 383. You would be fine with #1406 if my memory is correct on the part number.

Rebuild stock cab, reseal stock intake. Life is good.

Don’t install an Edelbrock carb they are designed to fuel a smogger small block engine, not a BB mopar. It will bring many drivability problems, choke problems, Kick down linkage problems, etc.

The intakes will bring problems with mounting your A/C and then what for a choke?

Why does the carb need rebuilt.

"Don’t install an Edelbrock carb they are designed to fuel a 305 chevy, not a BB mopar. It will bring many drivability problems, choke problems, Kick down linkage problems, etc. "

None of this happened with my Edelbrock 800cfm. Guess i must be lucky.

"Don’t install an Edelbrock carb they are designed to fuel a 305 chevy, not a BB mopar. It will bring many drivability problems, choke problems, Kick down linkage problems, etc. "

*****Hey guys what’s up with the dislikes, what here is spitting in your cornflakes. The thread title is asking for OPINIONS, and this is mine. The small Carterbrocks carbs are lean, big cabs are not. What do you think the aftermarket calibrates a 600carb for? small block Chevy or BB mopar-LOL******

Len the reason your 800 worked good is because it Is a big CFM carb. The 1406 is a 600 cfm small carburetor that runs lean. The customers that buy it have a small engine that needs a lean carburetor. They can have it fouling plugs and blowing black smoke, they are lean on purpose. If it was rich enough for a B.B. then the small blocks wouldn’t run.

The factory carbs are better calibrated for our BB mopars. Yes on the lean side, but I seen many guys posting drivability problems and they have the Edelbrock carbs.

Last edited:
Keep your original carb., how much cam are you running, if it needs rejetting you have a better to work with your OEM carb. Transmission, throttle and choke linkage will line up correctly.

Last edited:
Len That’s because it Is a big CFM carb. The 1406 is a 600 cfm small carburetor that runs lean. The customers that buy it have a small engine that needs a lean carburetor. They can have it fouling plugs and blowing black smoke, they are lean on purpose. If it was rich enough for a B.B. then the small blocks wouldn’t run.

The factory carbs are better calibrated for our BB mopars. Yes on the lean side, but I seen many guys posting drivability problems and they have the Edelbrock carbs.

Just avoid the carbs that are calibrated for "emissions" or "fuel economy".
I saw on on the Edelbrock website in the past, calibrated for emissions or power.
Not seeing it now though. And the kick down only needed a slight adjustment due to using a spacer on the stock manifold.

I guess that I am lucky too. My green 68 Sport Fury has had an Edelbrock 600 cfm 1406 electric choke carb on it since before I bought it over 20 years ago. I guess it does not know that it is a Chevy smog motor carb. It has given me NO problems in the 20 years I have owned the car and it was originally was a 383-2V converted to a 4V with a factory intake, dual exhaust using the log style exhaust manifolds, electronic ignition and with a 3.23 open rear it runs high 15's in the quarter on street radials with a fair amount of wheel spin off the line.

My yellow 68 Sport Fury with a pump gas 520" stroked 440 apparently doesn't know that the 800 cfm Edelbrock AFB style carb is the wrong carb for the car. It must be a miracle that it has run mid 13's in the quarter mile on G70/15 bias ply tires with a 3.73 rear gear.

They make a specific MOPAR linkage adapter for the Edelbrock carbs.

The majority of the 60's and early 70's MOPAR single 4 barrel cars used Carter brand carbs and the Edelbrock offerings are essentially a new version of the Carter AFB (Performer series) and AVS carbs (Thunder series) and Chrysler did not put 750 cfm carbs on 383-4V cars.

Bigred, you have not mentioned what carb is on your car now? If a factory Carter, if it can be rebuilt, do so, if not, well I think you know my opinion. I hope Big John chimes in.

AVS II going on my 76 RMB in a few weeks to replace the Tquad POS and will be the 5th car of mine to be converted to Eddy carbs and I anticipate no issues.

Process of elimination..............................Keep it simple.........

Don't make sense previous owner went through the trouble replacing the cam but not rebuild or tune the carburetor.
Not knowing the cam,that itself may be causing drivability issues if it is too big or too aggressive.
If you have access to a vacuum gauge that can help you immensely.
Throwing more parts at the motor may not solve things either.
So,replace intake gasket,do some fine tuning with the carb, and timing using a vacuum gauge.
if that does not work THEN rebuild or replace the carb.
I will hold off the intake swap because as mentioned the A/C brackets.

A convertible with air and cruise was an expensive fancy machine...Any back story on your car?
BTW,I am running a 750 Eddy on my 383 bored out 40 over and do have a cam,shift kit,duals,etc.
But I had to swap metering rods and jets since the Eddy's are leaned out new from the box.
With my set up 750 is what it likes yet can get better MPG with a smaller carb.
Hope this helps,Cheers.

The person I bought it from bought it used in 1972. They've had it since so I'm only the third person to own it. It was the guys mom's car who died a couple years back and he doesn't drive it much anymore and was time to let it go. He told me she had done engine work done years back but didn't know the details, just that it had a slightly bigger cam. It does have a Carter 4 barrel. The ac is disconnected but still there. Has a few leaks I'm dealing with underneath. It starts great, runs decent enough but I can't floor it from a stop without the engine wanting to hesitate and potentially die but if I do it right after I get moving I can floor it just fine with no problems. It's mostly just a weekend cruiser but I want a smooth experience and I think it's just the carb needing to be rebuilt. I figure for not too much more money if I'm taking the manifold off anyways maybe just do an upgrade. If there is good opinions about the stock manifold I don't mind keeping it, but I don't mind swapping it out either if it's worth it

I hope Big John chimes in.

IMHO, I would stick with the stock setup if at all possible. @Dana has a carb rebuilding shop where he runs them on a test engine. Chrysler really got the AVS carbs right on these cars. They are hard to beat when running right and a new Edelbrock is really just a copy of the Carter carb so unless your carb is junk, I'd try to use what you have.

Manifold? Unless you are going to do more with the engine, the stock manifold is going to be the best bang (no cost) for your buck. The aftermarket manifolds may have some trans linkage "issues" that you just aren't going to have with the stock manifold. Keep it easy for more fun with your car.

Carb selection? That is a big old can of worms. I would go with the 600CFM version on the 383. I think that less is more in this case.

IMHO, I would stick with the stock setup if at all possible. @Dana has a carb rebuilding shop where he runs them on a test engine. Chrysler really got the AVS carbs right on these cars. They are hard to beat when running right and a new Edelbrock is really just a copy of the Carter carb so unless your carb is junk, I'd try to use what you have.

Manifold? Unless you are going to do more with the engine, the stock manifold is going to be the best bang (no cost) for your buck. The aftermarket manifolds may have some trans linkage "issues" that you just aren't going to have with the stock manifold. Keep it easy for more fun with your car.

Carb selection? That is a big old can of worms. I would go with the 600CFM version on the 383. I think that less is more in this case.

Big john has spoken, and guess what, very similar advice I gave in post #4 and got 4 disagrees. I see how it works.

Ok guys. I think I'm sold on keeping it stock and rebuilding the carb. I think if I want to go a more horsepower route in the future I might just buy a stand and a block and make a little hobby of building something legit. I appreciate the input.

Big john has spoken, and guess what, very similar advice I gave in post #4 and got 4 disagrees. I see how it works.
Whoa.. Don't drag me into any issue you may have. I have no ax to grind with you about anything. All I did was respond with my opinion when I spotted my name.

Don’t install an Edelbrock carb they are designed to fuel a smogger small block engine, not a BB mopar. It will bring many drivability problems, choke problems, Kick down linkage problems, etc.

This is what we are disagreeing with as several here obviously have real world experience running a 1406 Eddy on a RB Mopar engine with good results. Nothing personal just disagreeing with your blanket statement that 1406 Eddies are only designed for small blocks. The OP is doing the right thing by rebuilding a decent original Carter carb in this case however, a 1406 Eddy would do the job as well from my experience which includes 2 66 300's 383 2V converted to 4V with the 1406 Eddy and a stock 4V intake plus several other SB and B/RB engines

Back