Opinions as to whether this is too far gone

bollotti

Reaction score
I have been looking at a New Yorker, but it has some rust issues. Does this body look too far gone?

NY Body 1.jpg

NY Body 2.jpg

NY Body 3.jpg

NY Body 4.jpg

NY Body 5.jpg

NY Body 6.jpg

NY Body 7.jpg

NY Body 8.jpg

NY Body 9.jpg

If it runs good and the doors close AND you can buy it for around 250 bux to use for a daily driver, it looks like a decent buy to me. For anything else I'd say it's a parts car and the value may increase if you need some of what it has.

Easy for this to be a money pit in restoration. To get at all of the rust, it would take a full disassembly and repaint, at the least, plus any needed metal work and that cost. Probably more under the paint, too!

End result is that any investment would probably take about 10 years to recoup with increasing resale values. Finding a used fender might be easy, but those UniBody areas would be where the major repairs would be. Right now, a drivable ultimate (later) parts car.

CBODY67

Thanks for the input. The rust around the door frames looks bad, and probably a lot worse once the paint is stripped back.

Well I think he misplaced the decimal point.....;) Sure the 440 and other related parts are worth something, but the overall body of the car is not worth much, think $1000-$1500 tops and your mainly paying for drivetrain and a few components.

Rust in every seam, most likely in the cowl too. When you have pin holes at the surface, the metal is thin (pitted) in areas you cant see. To be done right, corrosion like that requires the shell to be dipped in an electrolyte bath to remove the corrosion between and inside the panels. Then the long and laborious task of replacing panels and structure to make it solid again begins. Unless this is "The Car" I had to have (yes I've had 2 e bodies like this and 1 much worse), at 4k I'd find something better.

Last edited:
bad.. prob not restorable but good parts car

The A Pillars and cowl are gone. That would kill this car as a restoration project. As others have mentioned above, if it runs and drives it could be a winter beater, it will leak everywhere and probable smell awful inside, at $4k it is grossly overpriced worth more like $1K- $1.5k as a running beater. This car has seen a lot of salt, so be sure to check the frame rails for rust as they are probably falling apart as well, might not be safe to drive and probably worth about $750 as a parts car.

Dave

All that rust around the door hinges, and the A-pillar would scare me off. The roof might collapse in a rollover.
Well I think he misplaced the decimal point.....;) Sure the 440 and other related parts are worth something, but the overall body of the car is not worth much, think $1000-$1500 tops and your mainly paying for drivetrain and a few components.
I see a big-*** speaker on the driver's door... maybe it has a sound system worth more than the car?

Back