Opinions on best source for 1970 Fury GT exhausts

Reaction score
So it's time for my '70 Fury GT E85 T code to get a new exhaust. I'd like to stick to stock style pipes and muffler size, but would prefer a stainless system. I already have correct style tips, so don’t need advice on where to get those. Any other '70 GT owners out there have an opinion of where/who I should go to for the rest of the system?
Thanks, Eric

Last edited:
So it's time for my '70 Fury GT E85 T code to get a new exhaust. I'd like to stick to stock style pipes and muffler size, but would prefer a stainless system. Any other '70 GT out there have an opinion of where/who I should go to for this?
Thanks, Eric

If you are going to go stainless, the exhaust is not going to be stock anyway, so any good exhaust shop[ should be able to supply mufflers in stainless with the correct in/out pipe size and fabricate the appropriate piping. The stock exhaust tips went obsolete over 25 years ago and are difficult and expensive to find. The was a pair of the stock tips on this site a couple of months ago for about $900 which is very pricey. A better alternative would be to use repop challenger tips which are readily available and have the exhaust shop bend the pipes to fit. The challenger tips had a center line input while the GT tips had an off set input, so some deviation from the stock pipe pattern is necessary but very doable.

Dave

Dave, I already have correct GT tips. I’m looking feedback from other GT owners on who they’ve used and if they were happy with what they got. I know I could use a local shop, but I’m more interested in feedback on companies that specialize in making correct spec Mopar exhausts for GT’s. Stainless or not.

Dave, I already have correct GT tips. I’m looking feedback from other GT owners on who they’ve used and if they were happy with what they got. I know I could use a local shop, but I’m more interested in feedback on companies that specialize in making correct spec Mopar exhausts for GT’s. Stainless or not.

The T-code SFGT uses the same exhaust pipes and mufflers as most any other T-code fury. The tailpipes are unique to the SFGT because of the routing for the exhaust tips. I do not know of anybody who has patterns for those tailpipes. If yours were somewhat intact, you probably could have them copied. This has been an on going problem since only about 600 of the T-code cars were produced so there is not much incentive for specialty suppliers to stock or manufacture the tail pipes. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

If you are wanting a pre-bent system, then you might get one and then adapt your existing pipe ends to it? Probably doing that down beside the sides of the fuel tank, where it might not be very noticeable? Not unlike where the rear resonators were used on some models?

Just a thought,
CBODY67

Not trying to tell you what to buy, however I figured I'd "pipe up". High quality modern aluminized exhaust tubing is great stuff that really lasts. I've done two complete exhaust systems with it, and while each one only has about 25,000 miles on them, (how many miles do most C's rack up in a year?) they both look practically new! Just thought I'd say.

Your best bet is an old school muffler shop that can copy stuff. If you were in Az I’d say go to Mad Hatter on Broadway in Mesa LOL!!! There was a place in Anaheim but my brother just told me they closed a few years ago.

I’ve done lots of big block full systems and mad hatter used something they called a hemi turbo muffler great sound and good flow. Some of those fancy mufflers can really drone at speed on the hwy. make sure and tell the dude you want to hear it out the back not through the floorboards!!!

These were a 440+6 coronet RT lots of 440 chargers and many big block road runners mostly ‘69 & 70’s so not exactly the same sport but comparable to what you’re looking for. Most sported manifolds not headers.

Happy hunting Eric and just remember quiet up front and loud out the back. The automotive equivalent of a the mullet!!!

For the Quad rectangle tips if you want center outlet aftermarket for 08-14 Challenger. for offset find a supplier of 70-74 Challenger tips. can get up to 3" inlet. PG Classics has good stainless tips for Challengers

I always have heard and read that stainless exhaust produced a very different sound than OEM steel ones. And not in a positive way, either.
That's why I bought a aluminized steel one for my '58, and I intend to do the same with my '70.

I always have heard and read that stainless exhaust produced a very different sound than OEM steel ones. And not in a positive way, either.
That's why I bought a aluminized steel one for my '58, and I intend to do the same with my '70.

If that’s the case, I’ll pass on doing stainless. Thanks for the tip. Have any GT owners here used Accurate, Classic, or other companies and liked what they got?

Every Accurate system I have used/seen bolts right in. They do great work. They had gotten out of C Bodies but I read somewhere they were doing them again.

I just got an estimate on a complete aluminumized dual system for my '69 Grand Prix with stock mufflers at a local exhaust shop. His estimate was $350. The best internet price was $390 plus $65 in shipping w/o clamps. My exhaust guy has 30 years experience. If you want the exhaust tip tweaked etc he can do it.

Back