Optical illusion?

Jim 68cuda

Reaction score
I was moving cars around in the driveway so I could get a buddy's Dart into the garage to work on. In the process, three of my cars ended up parked on the street. I took this photo and find it interesting that the 66 Fury looks kind of small between the two B body 67 Coronets.
DSCN0098.JPG

It's due to the distortion caused by the cell phone lens. Cell phones use a very small and very wide angle lens that distort the picture.

Cell phones are great and the quality of photographs are much better than they used to be, but they are still just a phone that takes pictures.... They aren't a camera.

Sorry john, they aren't cell phones anymore, they are devices that do a lot. Many have awesome cameras within them.

I would like to know the difference in length of the C and the Bs

Sorry john, they aren't cell phones anymore, they are devices that do a lot. Many have awesome cameras within them.

They are still limited by size. You can only fit a small lens in a cell phone. All the focusing for close up and distance is done electronically. It's a compromise.

That isn't saying that they don't take some good pics. I don't use a camera anymore and Mrs. Big John (who's done photography professionally) only digs her good cameras out when she's serious about it.

It's due to the distortion caused by the cell phone lens. Cell phones use a very small and very wide angle lens that distort the picture.

Cell phones are great and the quality of photographs are much better than they used to be, but they are still just a phone that takes pictures.... They aren't a camera.

Agree 110%

You're right they are more than a phone, but they are not a replacement for a real camera. For snapping a shot so you know how something goes back together or catching the kids doing something cute they are great.

They are still limited by size. You can only fit a small lens in a cell phone. All the focusing for close up and distance is done electronically. It's a compromise.

That isn't saying that they don't take some good pics. I don't use a camera anymore and Mrs. Big John (who's done photography professionally) only digs her good cameras out when she's serious about it.

I'm with Mrs. Big John on this one.

Wow, no matter how old a person gets, they still can learn new stuff every day!
Very nice cars BTW, I'm partial to the red vert, wonder why? :D

Well... That just shoots my cell phone theory all to hell.

What kind of lens were you using? Is that a 3/4 scale fury?

In all fairness, its a pocket size camera and isn't much bigger than my cell phone. It does kind of look like a 3/4 scale Fury in the pic. Next time someone tells me C bodies are big boats, I will show them this picture. My 68 Charger is only 1 1/2" shorter than the Fury. I checked.

Ahh... A pocket camera is going to have a small lens too.

I feel a bit better now....

I was totally confused about the megapixel myth a few years ago until a professional photographer explained it to me. The number of megapixels a camera has affects to quality of the pictures less than the physical size of the chip in the camera/phone. The average person doesn't know this though and sees a high megapixel rating and thinks that is all that matters. So, if you have two cameras with the same number of megapixel rating, but one is a small pocket camera and the other is more the size of a DSLR than chances are the larger camera will take a better picture every time.

Also, when you zoom wide the objects on the edge of the image get stretched. They call it the fisheye effect. Sometimes it is really bad and easily notice.

Regardless, your cars are some wonderful eye candy.

I personally almost never use a cell phone camera unless at work or as previous mentioned kids/ dogs kind of stuff .
I use a Canon EOS60 for all my photography stuff..... a lot of gadgets on that camera, tough to remember anything

I personally almost never use a cell phone camera unless at work or as previous mentioned kids/ dogs kind of stuff .
I use a Canon EOS60 for all my photography stuff..... a lot of gadgets on that camera, tough to remember anything
LOL. After posting I remembered seeing you at Carlisle with that camera.

I have a Cannon Powershot that I use. Kind of a mid level camera that's handy and doesn't get me over my head. Mrs. Big John will use it and then I'll have to reset it all back to "auto" so I don't have to figure it out.

I really don't use it to its capabilities. ..I need to learn more but Christ I can't remember all the C body stuff

I really don't use it to its capabilities. ..I need to learn more but Christ I can't remember all the C body stuff
If you can understand the functioning of an internal combustion engine the principles of photography shouldn't be a challenge for you.The nice thing about a good slr camera is the ability to put it in manual mode and get creative. In the film era I had a decent Minolta SLR with full control of exposures by manipulating f stops, depth of field, shutter speeds and motion. The principles must still be the same with the new technology. When I retire I plan to replace my current point and shoot with a good slr and focus on nature and landscapes.

The DSLR's have all of the same functions, plus a multitude of programmed settings. I wish I could find a good book to explain how to use all of f stops, exposure and other stuff. There are allot of functions that I just don't understand.

Back