Original Carburetor?

Mntac

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting the Carb rebuilt during the offseason. Does anyone have any input on if this is the original carb to the car? If it isn't, would make the new intake and new carb decision easier. 1966 440 TNT appears original. Dual point distributor.

20230308_133015.jpg

20230308_130149.jpg

20230308_115331.jpg

Cool wagon! I remember one same color at the Jink yard mid 80’s and it shouldn’t have been there, was in great shape.

No doubt you looked under the cap. Are you sure its a dual point? The vac advance and the small wire grommet on it looks like a single Pt. They did make cast iron single point distributors.

does the dist still have the ID tag on it?

where did the coil go?

Thanks for the help with the carb Jollyjoker. This is a single point distributor not dual. Never even looked under the cap because it starts and runs great. Read some where the TNTs came with dual points obviously not! The coil was moved to the fender sometime in the past. Maybe some heat issues, the car is from out west.

The fuel filter should be down by the fuel pump, and the line should be one piece from the filter to the carb. They probably moved the coil because of the rubber hose in the fuel line.

You might be right on the fuel line/coil setup. I always thought the coil move was a Johnny racer update but your idea makes much more sense. I'd like to replace that cut fuel line with one line if anyone knows someone making them. And always looking for upgrades on the motor. I was anticipating rebuilding the 440 but in the middle of a compression test (beer break) and getting 110-130 on the right side.

20230308_172542.jpg

20230308_171341.jpg

Getting the Carb rebuilt during the offseason. Does anyone have any input on if this is the original carb to the car? If it isn't, would make the new intake and new carb decision easier. 1966 440 TNT appears original. Dual point distributor.

View attachment 585895

View attachment 585896

View attachment 585897
Very nice car, but then I'm biased!! You have the correct carb for 66. Single point diz.

Your brake booster is technically incorrect, but who cares?

Tell us more about your car!

Had the wagon for a couple years. Colorado car, 104k miles, runs drives, looks totally original. Long term plan is to rebuild everything and new paint. Have the most necessary done for safe driving like brake system, wheels, tires, rubber gas lines and cooling system. Flushed the cooling system/heater core with hot water and what came out looked like sand, rusty gravel and oatmeal. And lots of it, unbelievable. The system had been closed for a LONG time. Which leads me to my next question, a compression test today showed one cylinder at 110, all others 120-135. Can an original motor that's never been apart with 104k miles still have compression like this?

Very nice car, but then I'm biased!! You have the correct carb for 66. Single point diz.

Your brake booster is technically incorrect, but who cares?

Tell us more about your car!
I've got the same booster on my '66 and no one can tell me for sure why it's incorrect other than it might have been a factory manual brake with dealer installed power brakes, but that doesn't jive with factory TNT 440 option which would have required all of the correct factory goodies . . . perhaps a replacement where the original Midland unit wasn't available so they put the Bendix on it. Don't know.

I don't think there were any TNT 440's in 66, That would be the 375 horse one. 1967 B bodies were the first ones to use that. The Coronet R/T and the GTX.

I don't think there were any TNT 440's in 66, That would be the 375 horse one. 1967 B bodies were the first ones to use that. The Coronet R/T and the GTX.
The TNT 440 was definitely available in ‘66 but iirc it was 365 horse?

The ORIGINAL 440 TNT was a standard-cam 440 with: Twin exhausts 'n Twin snorkel air cleaner which was rated at 365 horsepower in 1966. CAR LIFE (and a few others) did a road test of a '66 Chrysler 300 with this engine, in the earlier part of the model year. The 440/375 motor did not appear until the 1967 GTX models and upgraded "440 TNT" in Chryslers. Plymouth and Dodge had their own engine names for the engine.

Thanks for tip Goldmyn. Looks like Inline tube sells direct on flea bay. They list: All Mopar 383/440 66-67 pump to carb set $23 for steel and $37.50 stainless steel free shipping.

Back