Over priced rebuild ?

polara383500

Reaction score
I call a machine shop today! The guy on the phone said he would do a complete rebuild heads and all which would go back stock accept a cam 5500$ 383.In my eyes I find that highly over priced!! What are you thoughts? Love to hear responds!

Last edited:
First off which engine? If you are having the engine "blueprinted", the price quoted is in the ball park. This will involve a full balance and line bore job, reconditioning the lifter bores if needed and checking the alignment of the crankshaft and cam bores. Redecking of the block and heads might also be necessary. Heads would need new valves and hardened seats, bronze valve guides installed and a triple angle valve job with new springs and retainers.. A blue print job takes a lot of extra time and machine work.

If this is a standard commercial rebuild, the price is out of line. More info as to what you wanted done to the engine would be helpful.

Dave

First off which engine? If you are having the engine "blueprinted", the price quoted is in the ball park. This will involve a full balance and line bore job, reconditioning the lifter bores if needed and checking the alignment of the crankshaft and cam bores. Redecking of the block and heads might also be necessary. Heads would need new valves and hardened seats, bronze valve guides installed and a triple angle valve job with new springs and retainers.. A blue print job takes a lot of extra time and machine work.

If this is a standard commercial rebuild, the price is out of line. More info as to what you wanted done to the engine would be helpful.

Dave
It was to go through the motor and do a basic rebuild and completely redo the 906 heads on a 383!

i just built a 440 street engine , scatt rods , cast pistons , 440 source alum heads , new roller hyd cam , roller rockers . balanced and clearanced , carb to pan all new parts in between . well the block and crank was used , it was just over 10k to the customer . but not race just a nice hotrod driver with 500hp n 500 fpt at 5500 rpm , ready at the peddle . he will have over 50k in the build , he supplied a nice roller , and i do the rest .

$5500 is probably right. I gave $4200 about 4 years ago for a mild 440 rebuild at a highly respected engine shop here in DFW.

try not to die -

P.S. its like the mechanic guy that asked me - why you putting thousand dollar brakes on a six hundred dollar car?

There are different levels of "going through". Either way, you'll have similar labor costs, but differing costs on the parts used. And there might be some different definitions of "blueprint", too.

Disassemble and hot tank the block. Recondition the crank and rods. New pistons to go in the newly-bored/honed block, with new rings. New bearings for the crank and rods. Timing chain set. New oil pump. Recondition cyl heads to factory specs (incl. new valves, springs, seals, valve stem locks), plius the valve guide work. Hard seats are a plus, in addition to "facing the seats".

From the basic rebuild, you can also specify "line hone" for the crankshaft main bearings. "Deck plate" bore and hone operations. "Deck" the block, to ensure all surfaces are "in square" (which they probably should be anyway, so just minimal amount would be needed).

As almost all aftermarket pistons do not weight what the OEM production pistons did, then a balance job would be needed for best results. Or smoothest operation.

From when I started reading about "blueprint" operations (in the middle 1960s), that operation meant that all items were within factory specs, rather than just slapping new parts in where the old ones had been. INCLUDING the combustion chamber size in "cc" measurements. AND equalizing each chamber to be the same volume. End result was the best engine it couild have been designed to be . . . for a bit more $$$.

In later years, most good machine shops have the quality equipment to end up with "blueprint" situations as a normal matter of course, IF their machine work is done correctly.

So, "going thorough" can mean from a simple clean and bore situatioin to a quality re-build situation. The former might be what a used car lot might desire, whereas the latter could result in a 100K+ mile durability motor, with minimal oil consumption.

And there are varying qualities of engine gaskets, too. Which can figure into the ultimate pricing, too. Which is why I normally recommend requesting "OEM quality or better". The shop operatives should know what that means and can procure items from their suppliers appropriately. Just as with salvage yard parts, once you mention "high performance" (or worse), the price CAN increase, by observation.

From a business point of view, many shops might not give an accurate quote over the phone, due to the variables involved in what the customer really desires. Some might also know that "sticker shock" can happen and send some customers "away", by observation. End result, YOU need to invest some time to talk to a shop in person, to see if they are "smoking" or giving you some detailed, valid cost figures.

Unfortunately, some of the best engine shops might not usually be "just down the road" from where you're at, but a distance away.

Good luck,
CBODY67

As noted, go to the shop and find out what they are planning to do as part of the rebuild. $5.5k should be a high quality rebuild. If all they are going to do is turn the crank, bore the engine and rebuild the heads and put it back together with new bearings, pistons and rings, their price is out of line. They may have quoted a "please go away" price because they do not want the job. Shop around.

Dave

Rebuilding the heads by themselves with new valves massaged with a back cut 3 angle grind, matching the springs to the upgraded cam, can run to 800.00 UP to a grand.
So thats 1/5 of the quote gone.
Hotank, re re cam bearings, hone the cylinders fetches 250 400.00
Any boring and piston replacement can eat a grand very easily.
Then it snowballs from there..new pistons? Well! We need to balance everything!
Oh and match all the rods..etc etc.

My 383 cost 5200. .40 over bore balanced and bluprinted and long block assembled.
I supplied all parts except pistons and valvetrain. My cost included hardened valve seats planed the heads and block.
383's bores were known to go eggo compared to 440's
Keep in mind for some reason-- which I dont know why--383 engine parts cost more than 440's.
My 440 only lightened the sock drawer for 2600.Lucky that engine I was able to reuse the standard bore pistons and standard size bearings.

As mentioned get down to the shop to see wtf is getting done for that price.
They are in the biz to make money.
Make sure the quote is justified and get what you need done NOT WHAT THEY WANT TO DO.

Why would the car only be worth $1500? Don’t understand that one!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

These are not cars to make money on. It's not a Charger, or Road Runner you can spend X dollars on, and get X times 2 dollars back. If you sell, you could easily lose half of what you spent. The demand just isn't there.

Sure we love our cars, but we do it because we love our cars. I sell parts from cars with no titles to supplement my low to no budget approach.

Used car prices are based on "demand" more than anything else. Vehicles which people "desire" are usually priced higher. "Demand" means "by the general public", rather than niche groups of individuals.

In that orientation, the value of the vehicle can be raised a little by the presence of recently-replaced components. Which can make it more desirable to a potential purchaser. Usually major components which normally wear out and need replacing. Body work and paint can be in that mix, too, provided there are pictures of the work progression and what needed to be done "underneath".

In other words, spending $4K on an engine rebuild will not make a $1.5K car into a $5K car.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

It was $CDN 7K on the rebuild of the mild 440 in the Monaco about 5 years ago and I didn't supply any parts. That is probably more than 1/2 the value of the car. As stated these are a labour of love.

I was offered a rebuilt beefed up early 70's 440 back about 5 years ago now for the Polara that I turned down due to cost of having to source extras to complete the deal such as a BB 727, exhaust system carb, etc...

The offer was $4000cdn cash so the builder could get their labour back out of the work.
The original customer had passed away during the rebuild and the widow refused to pay the bill so there it sat in the corner of the shop.

I was suffering from some sticker shock even at this price.

I call a machine shop today! The guy on the phone said he would do a complete rebuild heads and all which would go back stock accept a cam 5500$ 383.In my eyes I find that highly over priced!! What are you thoughts? Love to hear responds!

You can buy NEW aluminum heads bare for $499.99 each from 440 Source. Or Edelbrock performer heads complete with valve gear (no rockers) for $750 each. Even Trick Flow aluminum heads are just over $1000 each. So why would the machine shop be looking for $5500 just to do some work on your heads. I'd be "looking" for a new shop.

Going along with others...I have more than that in my, stock, rebuild and it didn't increase the value one dollar. It preserved what I had but I'm now more upside down than before.

At some point, you have to ask yourself if it is about 'the money' or not.

If it IS about the money, and you count every penny you put into your car and you expect it to return to you, you are in the wrong hobby.

I think the OP needs to clarify the question you are asking. I have re-read what you wrote about a half dozen times and it is still unclear to me whether:

a. you are just looking to rebuild your cylinder heads; or
b. you are looking to do a complete engine re-build. Obviously this is much more expensive and considerably wider scope.

@polara383500 Why don't you have a go at more detail in terms of what you plan to do so you can get better opinions.

I think the OP needs to clarify the question you are asking. I have re-read what you wrote about a half dozen times and it is still unclear to me whether:

a. you are just looking to rebuild your cylinder heads; or
b. you are looking to do a complete engine re-build. Obviously this is much more expensive and considerably wider scope.

@polara383500 Why don't you have a go at more detail in terms of what you plan to do so you can get better opinions.
I was just looking for a basic rebuild nothing extravagant just redo the heads I have put a new cam in it and that’s it! If the heads can’t be fixed then just put new heads on it so it can be just a cruiser around town!

Back