Overflow issue 67 VIP big block

Rio68

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on an overflow jug that will work on my VIP Fury with a/c and 383 eng. Learn the hard way that without one it will suck the water out of the radiator. Later model Fury container available from someone?
Thanks guys, for any help!

What "sucks the water out of the radiator"? The key to a good coolant recover system a radiator cap for such a system, by observation.

The normal coolant level for your radiator, with the engine cold, is with the upper tank 1/2 full. If the cooling system is reasonably decent in nature (i.e., not clogged or restricted with "accumulated gunk") AND with a good radiator cap of the correct poundage, there should be no, or very few, over-flows, after the coolant finds "ITs level" and then stabilizes there. From my experiences with our '66 Newport, '67 Newport, and '70 Monaco -- all 383 factory a/c cars.

The other thing I learned from a non-Chrysler vehicle is that WHERE the coolant recovery tank is mounted (elevation wise) and how the hose to it is routed CAN be very important for correct functioning of the system.

What sort of issues might you be having with your current system?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Radiator is clean but when driven and temp is up the overflow runs coolant out when stopped. What should be the normal pound pressure on the cap for this car, current cap is 16 lbs. I may have been too quick to keep the level too high in the radiator and not letting it finds it level. To use to late model pressure systems...lol

Radiator is clean but when driven and temp is up the overflow runs coolant out when stopped. What should be the normal pound pressure on the cap for this car, current cap is 16 lbs. I may have been too quick to keep the level too high in the radiator and not letting it finds it level. To use to late model pressure systems...lol
16lbs should be fine.

Hi Rio,
FSM says fill to 1.25" below seat on filler neck with no reservoir

603-001 Coolant Reservoir order at Advance, $9.29
I used this reservoir and filled to top of radiator
IMG_20200911_201540fcbo.jpg

On A/C equipped cars the receiver / drier is located on the passenger side of the rad. You would need to get something like a tall cylinder type of overflow bottle. If you fill your rad to the top of the neck you will lose coolant from the overflow. Try less coolant in the rad tank as mentioned in previous posts. About an inch or so below the neck.

The '72 Chryslers had a coolant recovery jug in that same location, which works with the factory a/c items, too, as our '72 Newport Royal 400-2bbl has.

CBODY67

I've been upgrading several of my rigs to fit a Dorman 54002 USA made recovery kit, finally now settling on a spot that involves factory horn placement removal but it's worth it.

Bought this one and mounted next to the radiator on the passenger side of the vehicle, works great and looks clean. I can send pics later when back home if interested.

Mishimoto MMRT-1LBK Mishimoto Universal Coolant Overflow Tanks | Summit Racing
everything I read said to mount the top at the same level as the radiator if you want it to actually function like new cars where it will siphon back and forth with the radiator as the cooling system pressurizes. This one has worked out great and just like I described but I had to sand down the cap top and paint it, couldn't have anything that said mishimoto visible as soon as you pop the hood!lol

IMG_5426.jpeg

IMG_5427.jpeg

IMG_5428.jpeg

I've mounted them lower than the top of the rad and way above and they always work. Coolant gets hot, expands, goes into the overflow tank, then returns as it cools. On all Subarus the overflow tank is well below the top of the rad.

An added value benefit is the absence of air in the cooling system, helps prevent water pump cavitation, plus less corrosion.

In the trucking industry we added Nalcool every other oil change, helps control the voltage present in your block. Dissimilar metals in liquid solution = battery.

When I added an aftermarket coolant recovery jug to our then-recently new 1969 Chevy pickup, I used the mounting place of the windshield washer reservoir, so no holes to drill. Then I somewhat expected the clear line going to it from the radiator to remain full of fluid, which it did not or would not. No matter how many times I purged it of air. The radiator stayed full, but the coolant recovery jug, which also had coolant in it, sometimes did not change levels, hot or cold.

I also somewhat expected the pickup to run cooler, as the top 15% or so of the crossflow radiator core was now full. But it made no significant difference. BTAIM

I fully concur with the benefits of an "always full" radiator are supposed to be. In the earlier days, there were differences in normal radiator caps and coolant recovery radiator caps, but as things seemed to have evolved, everything now is "coolant recovery" caps. Initially, they were completely round, no "ears".

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

You should definitely change cap to one that doesn't invite opening such a Lever-Vent.

I personally stay away from higher pressure caps, prefer 13bs.

Before tank install, 1970 383.

P1340985.jpg

Post tank install, '69 318.

P1090398.JPG

Waiting on my formed hoses, or the 2nd one now. Tough to find the right hoses, the last set I ordered were totally wrong so I still have these junkers on there and they really bother me, the top one is cracking.

Rad is from a '66 Monaco/Newport etc w/383 & AC, but has Dodge truck ears, I had it custom made from 2 radiators.

I'm was very lucky to finally get a radiator in it, nearly a 2 year search.

Stupidly, I tried to sell this radiator for a year after I had it rebuilt and found out it didn't fit. Had it been a B body rad, it would have sold in minutes, but been a C body rad, nobody wanted it, lucky me.

One day I realized I had a totally wasted big block truck rad that had the right ears and went and had them put on. The solution was staring at me in the face but I'd never realized it.

The truck had been without a rad for a whole year at this point, I was starting to despair at ever finding a proper rad for it.

Last edited:
everything I read said to mount the top at the same level as the radiator if you want it to actually function like new cars where it will siphon back and forth with the radiator as the cooling system pressurizes. This one has worked out great and just like I described but I had to sand down the cap top and paint it, couldn't have anything that said mishimoto visible as soon as you pop the hood!lol

View attachment 557567

View attachment 557568

View attachment 557569
I like the look of your radiator coolant reservoir.

I disagree with "level with top tank"

I have had 3 fuselage c-bodies where I installed reservoir below the top tank and the system worked perfectly.

I have had 3 fuselage c-bodies where I installed reservoir below the top tank and the system worked perfectly.
Remember, coolant flows into the overflow tank when the cap on the radiator opens, due to pressure. Similarly, the radiator siphons coolant from the overflow tank when there’s a lower pressure in the radiator, after overcoming the seal resistance in the cap.
As long as there’s coolant in the overflow tank, the radiator will draw it in as needed, otherwise it will suck air.

Gotcha, I guess as long as the hose from the radiator is at the bottom of my reservoir and the reservoir overflow hose is at the top it should syphon back & forth from the radiator. Just going by what I was told at the time I mounted it but makes sense now that I think about it.

Dorman coolant reservoir, dirt cheap, just received another 2 in the mail, fun to install now that I have a formula.

P1090506.JPG

Back