overflow question

70Tom

Reaction score
How often does your radiator spew coolant out of the overflow hose? Seems like my car does it somewhat often. I leave a good inch or so of space in the radiator empty, so I don't think I'm overfilling the coolant.

Not sure what others experience. Just wondering.

IMO - it should find its level and then be OK forever. if you keep filling it up it will keep puking.

try it - let it find its level, drive around like that, check it - if no leaks, call it good.

try not to die -

- saylor

IMO - it should find its level and then be OK forever. if you keep filling it up it will keep puking.

try it - let it find its level, drive around like that, check it - if no leaks, call it good.

try not to die -

- saylor
Cool. Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I think I might be at that point as it hasn't been overflowing the last couple drive. As for the mysterious oil leak that popped up last night, that's another story. Think it may be the oil pump isn't sealed well. It's always something....

The free space at the top of the radiator tank is supposed to work so that when the coolant warms up, the expanded volume has a place to go. 1" of coolant above the radiator core is about ideal, any more than that will just get puked out as mentioned above.

Dave

Do you have an overflow tank or is it just a tube? I know the vehicles equipped with recovery tanks use a different radiator cap.

**I usually add a recovery tank to my old Mopars. Since I like to see coolant above the find when I remove the cap

Do you have an overflow tank or is it just a tube? I know the vehicles equipped with recovery tanks use a different radiator cap.

**I usually add a recovery tank to my old Mopars. Since I like to see coolant above the find when I remove the cap
It's just a tube. I'm definitely considering putting a tank in.

Thanks all.

In adding a coolant recovery jar, try to mimic what the factory did as to elevation of the tank from the radiator tank, with the tube routed to minimize air pockets as the coolant expands. There used to be a special radiator cap for coolant recovery systems, but many now might be that way anyway. Good luck!

CBODY67

+1 on overflow tank I had an ocean spray cranapple bottle for a while, then I got fancy and bought the $12 summit overflow bottle

Late 80’s Ram 150 bottle on my ‘70 compliments of @300rag
E9D7F5BA-3CB2-46FB-8417-E18BB3F0A432.jpeg
2B74C0F1-2C0F-4A60-9A12-F31A815A0DF4.jpeg

It's just a tube. I'm definitely considering putting a tank in.

Thanks all.
If she's not a perfect original, with all the proper hoses belts, battery etc... I would always say go with the overflow bottle... any overflow bottle you can stand to look at. The peace of mind and laziness factor are worth it.
+1 on overflow tank I had an ocean spray cranapple bottle for a while, then I got fancy and bought the $12 summit overflow bottle
If using the ocean spray bottle, attach it with an old metal coat hanger... keep the look authentic.

I took the 73 overflow system and added to the Polara.
It looks at home and most don't even think about it.

If you do convert to a closed system, be sure to replace the rad cap wit ha closed system rad cap too.

Doesn't having an overflow bottle to burp all air out of the system help to keep the cooling system from rust /oxidation and possibly add a little cooling capacity?

Doesn't having an overflow bottle to burp all air out of the system help to keep the cooling system from rust /oxidation and possibly add a little cooling capacity?
I may be incorrect but I think that closed systems were developed to reduce the spillover of coolant for pollution
This stuff doesn’t blend into the earth easily

Back