Paint Advice...

Peacedog

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the paint sold by TCPGlobal? It's branded "Restoration Shop" on the site. I'll be going with the Lacquer @ $130/gallon and am guessing I'll need two gallons of primary, one gallon secondary and two gallons clear (I want enough for future repairs as well). Because the Canadian dollar starting to tank again, I'm considering purchasing sooner rather than later to save a few $$ but want to make sure the stuff isn't garbage first. I haven't decided on the colours yet so I may go with standard metallic instead of the firemist line. (first thought on colours was copper on bronze but the longer I think on that, the less it goes with the gold/brown interior)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restoratio...on-Kit&AL+%u2013+Acrylic+Lacquer&selectedsku=

http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RSP+CL3245-GL

I have used a gallon of basecoat in acrylic from these guys and it turned out fine, i dont know about the color matched stuff they offer in other types of paints though.

I bought a quart of satin interior paint for the burgundy interior of my NYB from them. They were the ONLY one that matched it perfectly in color and sheen. A very tough color. They had the actual original formula in their computer. Expensive but it was cheaper than all the badly matched colors I bought. I would/will use them again in a heartbeat.

I bought a quart of satin interior paint for the burgundy interior of my NYB from them. They were the ONLY one that matched it perfectly in color and sheen. A very tough color. They had the actual original formula in their computer. Expensive but it was cheaper than all the badly matched colors I bought. I would/will use them again in a heartbeat.

May i ask what you were painting on the inside?

May i ask what you were painting on the inside?
The lower steel dash panel (shin guard?) and the plastic lower steering column panel.

Posted via Topify on Android

Gotchya. Didnt like the one i sent ya last winter?
That's the one I painted. The fading looked too obvious (to me) so I said wtf and bought the paint. That panel turned out to be a $100 panel. Frank Mitchell prices but I've got the paint.

Posted via Topify on Android

Thanks Commando. That's good to know in case I try fixing the vinyl myself, my understanding is you need a fair bit of experience to pull it off, though.

Has anyone had experience with the paint sold by TCPGlobal? It's branded "Restoration Shop" on the site. I'll be going with the Lacquer @ $130/gallon and am guessing I'll need two gallons of primary, one gallon secondary and two gallons clear (I want enough for future repairs as well). Because the Canadian dollar starting to tank again, I'm considering purchasing sooner rather than later to save a few $$ but want to make sure the stuff isn't garbage first. I haven't decided on the colours yet so I may go with standard metallic instead of the firemist line. (first thought on colours was copper on bronze but the longer I think on that, the less it goes with the gold/brown interior)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restoratio...on-Kit&AL+%u2013+Acrylic+Lacquer&selectedsku=

http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RSP+CL3245-GL

Enamel color and Lacquer clear? Am I reading that right? I firmly believe that the performance of urethane is so far above enamel as to negate using enamel for our period cars. Yet urethane only in single stage and never metallic. It is easier to paint parts using single stage than base coat. Metallic needs to be done all at one time to make sure the metallic particles lay down uniformly across the entire car.

Lacquer clear? Is this a garage queen as lacquer doesn't stand up that well to the outdoor environment. The stuff also needs a bunch of coats to achieve a deep shince and the more coats the more brittle it gets.

Thanks Commando. That's good to know in case I try fixing the vinyl myself, my understanding is you need a fair bit of experience to pull it off, though.
For their satin and gloss interior paints, they also sell it with an additive for when you're applying it to vinyl a/o plastic.

So basically there are three interior paints.
1. Metal, satin finish (low gloss)
2. Metal, gloss
3. Plastic and vinyl, gloss with additive.

Or if you have the gloss already and want to apply it to vinyl and leather, add ketone (not acetone).

Last edited:
I just had my 72 fury painted with the single stage urethane saddle brown firemist... I am thoroughly impressed. Its like have three colors. At night it looks black, in the shade it looks like a dull rootbeer brown and in the sun it is "intense". My car is a driver, but looks like a million bucks.. (I'm a little bias)

For their satin and gloss interior paints, they also sell it with an additive for when you're applying it to vinyl a/o plastic.

So basically there are three interior paints.
1. Metal, satin finish (low gloss)
2. Metal, gloss
3. Plastic and vinyl, gloss with additive.

Or if you have the gloss already and want to apply it to vinyl and leather, add ketone (not acetone).

I'd need the vinyl paint/repair but am I right to assume that the paint would fill the small spider cracking on the vinyl? I still haven't a clue about the tear but I'll worry about that later since it's not bad and a little care (or a cheapo glue down) will make sure it doesn't get much worse.

I just had my 72 fury painted with the single stage urethane saddle brown firemist... I am thoroughly impressed. Its like have three colors. At night it looks black, in the shade it looks like a dull rootbeer brown and in the sun it is "intense". My car is a driver, but looks like a million bucks.. (I'm a little bias)

Do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see how it actually looks compared to the samples they provide on the site.

I've contacted TCPGlobal and they won't sell me 4oz samplers (or anything less than a quart) to test mix it to my preferred colour before buying several gallons. It looks like I'll be buying a quart each of the firemist copper and saddle brown.

Mixing copper / brown at 0.15:1 is pretty close to what I am looking for, at least when mixing the colours using software. The only way to really know will be to lay down a few coats on a plastic car cut-out.

I did a complete repaint with the paint in question and had no problems at all. In fact I have had several people ask what I used because they want the same thing. I will try to post some pictures Joe IMG_0491.jpgIMG_0486.jpgDSC_2928.jpgDSC_2977.jpgDSC_3060.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

DSC_2928.jpg

DSC_2977.jpg

DSC_3060.jpg

Back