"Paint" job

Marian

Reaction score
Sometimes I think I need to up my medication. Ok, so somebody should be able to help me with this small problem. As you may know the Monaco is going through an almost total restoration. Now comes the dash. The gauge covers and part of the dash had a rough textured like paint. Anyone know where I can find this? I so appreciate all your help. Lord knows...I'm needing lot of that lately. Oh and btw...don't we have a member here that lives in Ashville NC? Hubby is taking me there at the end of the week for a much needed rest. Swimming in the river, fishing and well...together time. :)

Hey Marian,
I have checked my car and see no signs of any textured paint. All of the black accent paint is smooth and so is my dashpad. Sorry I couldn't help...

The dash on my Fury had that "rough feeling" paint. My local auto body supply guy told me that he couldn't get that base paint anymore. I think he was FOS.
Regardless, lets start off with if Bob can repost us the link for the correct color code.

Posted via Topify using Android

Hey Marian,
I have checked my car and see no signs of any textured paint. All of the black accent paint is smooth and so is my dashpad. Sorry I couldn't help...
Check out your front speaker grill and the underside of the gauge domes.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the texture if it is in good shape.
I just used new paint of the correct color and put down some thin coats to freshen it up.

If the texture's still on just a paint over with regular paint would actually be better as the original texture would get changed to the worse, but I was under the impression in this case the old paint was completely removed as Marian used past tense.

If the texture's still on just a paint over with regular paint would actually be better as the original texture would get changed to the worse, but I was under the impression in this case the old paint was completely removed as Marian used past tense.

You are correct. Paint was removed.

Nooooooooo......
It's not textured. You'll ruin it. It is like a suede finish. Totally different.
Plus she has to get an exact color match or her totally perfect resto will go down the toilet.

Posted via Topify using Android

Perfect resto? :rolling: When working on the emblems I had to paint and remove the paint, paint then remove so many times that I finally had a couple of glasses of wine and said to myself...that'll work. Wine and paint thinner fumes make for the perfect day.

I prefer beer and acetone. Faster and more effective. The migraine later on is tough to take, tho....

I would like to see what this "rough textured suede like" finish looks like.
If you put on only basecoat you would have that semi gloss/satin finish but no texture. Not sure how this paint without clearcoat will age over the years in the "sun tanning" states, had no problems in the mild climates where I used it even on the outside without clearcoat to blend a small spot on a single stage met. paint car.

I would like to see what this "rough textured suede like" finish looks like.
Buy a can of this stuff and you'll know exactly the finish that Marian is talking about.
You have to see and feel it. I can't describe it.

11l4dqh.jpg

Thanks, I got the general idea. So this paint from Krylon could work, if the desired color is not available you could paint it over after putting the suede paint on, provided both paints don't have compatibility issues.

Thanks, I got the general idea. So this paint from Krylon could work...
I don't know if it would work nor am I recommending it. I'm just saying that I've used it and the look and feel were the same.
I was trying to give you an example only.

I know, this was my own suggestion; worth a try if nothing else shows up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any paint store should be able to mix it up in a variety of paint types. A lot of paint lines have the suede additive they can add to any color. The suede makes it feel like about 180 grit sandpaper. What I've been using lately on regular non textured interior colors is a regular basecoat with a low gloss topcoat clear. Gives a correct appearance with excellent durability.

Back