Painting Air Cleaner

NewportTM

Reaction score
IMG_0087.jpgIMG_0088.jpgIMG_0089.jpg
I am wanting to clean up and paint the air cleaner on my 66 Newport. Any suggestions as to what brand of paint has worked best for you? Also did you use gloss, semi-gloss or flat?
Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I'm having mine power coated. I'm still waiting to get it back. I am also using a 2 stage urethane on other black items. The clear coat with the hardener will give me extra protection from gas or brake fluid. Those fluids will take the top coat right off. You shouldn't have to worry about that with the air cleaner.

I am a painter so I go a little over kill on the painting. I have a lot of clear left over from another job, so all the paint I'm been buying is 2 stage.:toothy10:

Last edited:
I'm having mine power coated. I'm still waiting to get it back. I am also using a 2 stage urethane on other black items. The clear coat with the hardener will give me extra protection from gas or brake fluid. Those fluids will take the top coat right off. You shouldn't have to worry about that with the air cleaner.

I am a painter so I go a little over kill on the painting. I have a lot of clear left over from another job, so all the paint I'm been buying is 2 stage.:toothy10:

As in car painting or something else?

I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel...semi-gloss black. No need to spend a million bucks unless you got it laying around.

As in car painting or something else?

I am a house painter but I have sprayed lacquer and paint over woodwork for 25 years so I have all the equipment the shop space. I have only sprayed a half dozen cars/work vans over the years and only for myself.

Wheres that battery cable going?

The earlier cars the battery cable went under the master and then on the later cars it went over.

Look mine over good. What do I need to correct? I know the hose clamps have to go...lol

Ok that was my 0.5

The power steering pump looks to be painted and not black, cap should be natural.

Alan

Dipstick isnt engine color for one....

Is this true with Big Blocks? I know that on small blocks the dip stick was dipped in engine paint, so there should be a paint bubble on the end. On the small block the tube was NOT painted. I'm not sure what theyear range for this detail but I know it was 67-70.

Alan

The power steering pump looks to be painted and not black, cap should be natural.

Alan

Power steering pump shouldn't be black? Cap is natural. Everything I reproduced during the resto was replicated from how it was during teardown as the car was original when I got it. The pump had black paint on it (most flaked off). The dipstick tube was natural but I painted it with Eastwood Cast Grey to preserve it. The dipstick itself was painted black so I replicated it. It's probably 95% correct and some of the items mentioned are speculation at best as I'm sure there were variances from plant to plant. This is most certainly the case when it comes to GTO's. Even though there is a published Restoration Guide for them, there are some aspects of that book that are inaccurate and not black and white. Having not been alive when the car was new and not being a C Body guy before I bought the car, I think I did a pretty good job of authentically restoring it.

I wasn't sure which cable he was referring to. The Pos Cable runs up over the inner fender and splits at the firewall, going to the starter relay and down to the starter. And yes, a black Pos Cable is correct for '65. The Neg
grounds to an intake bolt.

Back