Painting Road Wheels

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to bodywork and paint. The road wheels I have need a little work. I'm going to order a can of Argent paint from Eastwood tomorrow unless somebody knows somewhere else to get the Argent paint. I'm going to pull off the trim rings and center hubs and polish up all the chrome. My question is what is the best method of masking the wheel and to prep the wheels for paint. I think a couple of light coats to get it painted fully and evenly. No clear coat over the Argent?

Bob, the ones on my car I painted with silver spray paint from the Lowes, Pieces of painters tape to go around the chrome. That was the tedious part, all the little tape pieces...

Pieces of painters tape to go around the chrome. That was the tedious part, all the little tape pieces...
Wrong way to mask curves.
Apply about a half dozen long, straight pieces of tape over lapping the circumferance of the circle you're masking off. Dont try to mask the actual edge. Take a ballpoint pen, run it around the circumferance and trim the tape with a razor blade along the pen line. Takes a few minutes per wheel.

FWIW: when I repainted mine this last time around, I took a chance and used Rustoleum Hammered Silver. I LOVE IT! It looks beautiful on there and boy is it ever durable.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Stan do you have the paint code/color off the can? Where did you get it?

That taping method sounds good.

Thanks all.

Stan do you have the paint code/color off the can? Where did you get it?

That taping method sounds good.

There's only one Rustoleum Hammered Silver. Got it at HD. Comes in rattle can and quarts.
I found brushing on a couple of coats produced a perfect hammer finish while the spray tended to glob up.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

refinish road wheels....

Thanks Stan. My road wheels need a repaint too so I'll give your method a shot.
I completely refinished 5 wheels for my 300 just a few months ago. Stans method of taping works well.

I masked off the chrome with duct tape and had them sandblasted on the backside and the inner rim area.
Then polished the chrome, and used a satin silver auto base paint that was on the shelf. The rim was painted black and a clear coat over everything.
I painted the backside of the hub section with "chrome" rattle can. No one can see it but it looks cool.
They are really easy to keep clean too.

one wheel (Large).jpg

painted wheels 2 (Large).jpg

painted wheels 3 (Large).JPG

completed wheel (Large).jpg

I love chrome, so I strip the silver paint off of road wheels when I restore them. I love the look it gives. My 10 cents.

I love chrome, so I strip the silver paint off of road wheels when I restore them. I love the look it gives. My 10 cents.
I've seen that on some cars. That really makes them "pop". That's another great alternative if the chrome is still good.

Bob, before you try the hammered finish if you're thinking about it, here's a shot to look at first.

14tovtz.jpg

I AM the world's most interesting man after all....

Coincidently, the silver is so close to the silver on my car it's uncanny. So it worked out well.

Last edited:
They all look nice. I'm going with the stock look on the wheels.

Thanks to Mike (Newp), he found the stock Argent Silver paint at Eastwood. If anyone is interested for future projects the Argent Silver paint link from Mike (Newp) is:

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rally-wheel-paint-silver-aerosol-12-oz.html

Thanks Mike!!!

I replaced the framing and bezels around my headlights. They replacements are in decent shape but I think they could use a new shot of the Argent.....now I know where to get it. THANKS.

I replaced the framing and bezels around my headlights. They replacements are in decent shape but I think they could use a new shot of the Argent.....now I know where to get it. THANKS.

Thank Mike (Newp).......he's the one that found the Argent paint. I'm just passing it on.

There is a special plastic fine line tape band that allows you to do most curves in one piece, also used for striping. A bit pricey compared to the usual tape but worth it in my opinion. For the road wheels this would be real easy, even these Magnum type rims only needed some cutting in the very narrow corners.

010-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

8Fineline.jpg

8Fineline.jpg

Last edited:
There is a special plastic fine line tape band that allows you to do most curves in one piece, also used for striping. A bit pricey compared to the usual tape but worth it in my opinion. For the road wheels this would be real easy, even these Magnum type rims only needed some cutting in the very narrow corners.

010-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

View attachment 8023

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Back