Painting the lower dashboard, tips?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on painting the lower dashboard this spring but my upholstery guy is still at least another 2 weeks until he can get to my car. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise because now I can complete the interior.

Basically is there anything that might trip me up when removing the lower half of the dashboard and the cowling around the steering wheel? I won’t get to it until the weekend but I was hoping it was all pretty straight forward. Can I just take the lower painted area off and leave the top portion alone?

dash cleaned up.jpg

Rexus?
Rexus?
Rexus....
teachermirror.jpg

Yes I think Scott is probably the guy on this one. He has helped me out alot on the 300 questions and we all know he does it the right way.

One of my all time favorite movie Stan.

You will have to remove the vent cables from the kick panel vents and remove the nut on the dash panel holding them in place. You can then pull the cables out from the front of the lower panel. The ash tray and glovebox door are pretty self explanatory. You won't be able to get instrument bezel chrome off unless you pull the dash. The side mounting screws are impossible to get at with the dash in the car and you won't be able to pull the dash unless the windshield is out.

You will have to remove the vent cables from the kick panel vents and remove the nut on the dash panel holding them in place. You can then pull the cables out from the front of the lower panel. The ash tray and glovebox door are pretty self explanatory. You won't be able to get instrument bezel chrome off unless you pull the dash. The side mounting screws are impossible to get at with the dash in the car and you won't be able to pull the dash unless the windshield is out.

Thanks Scott as always, how about the cowling around the steering wheel? Do I have to take the steering wheel off and if so what is involved in that procedure?

I did not remove the cowling, just masked and painted. You might have to drop the column to get at the mounting hardware to remove the Alt and Fuel bezel. Some of the trim around the speedo can be removed easily as well.

The side mounting screws are impossible to get at with the dash in the car and you won't be able to pull the dash unless the windshield is out.

2 stinking side mounting screws and I could pull everything I need to paint. I'm glad you told me that or I would have removed a lot of screws before realizing it is not coming.

2 stinking side mounting screws and I could pull everything I need to paint. I'm glad you told me that or I would have removed a lot of screws before realizing it is not coming.

You could try to remove the mounting nuts at the kick panels and steering column support and with a helper, lift up on the dash. There may be enough play for you to get at them. I never tried this as I always intended to take the dash out of the car. I wouldn't get too aggressive with it because you don't want to tweak the dash but you will get much, much better results with those chrome pieces out of the way. I'm not a big fan of masking something like that. To me, the interior is the MOST important part of the restoration because it is where you spend most of your time. If you get poor results, you're always going to focus in on that; at least I would. That being said, it might be your only option. I wouldn't pull the windshield unless you have to. The aftermarket windshield gaskets are incorrect and I had a hell of a time finding a NOS one.

Aftermarket (Incorrect):
WindsheilGasket2.jpg

NOS (Correct)
Gasket.jpg

The aftermarket windshield gaskets are incorrect and I had a hell of a time finding a NOS one.
It probably was the last one in existence, too.
Dave at Restoration Specialties sent me one of those to test fit it for him. It was the correct profile but overall slightly too wide.
If need be, I'm guessing you could remove a section in the middle and caulk the butt joint. No?

Last edited:
It probably was the last one in existence, too.
Dave at Restoration Specialties sent me one of those to test fit it for him. It was the correct profile but overall slightly too wide.
If need be, I'm guessing you could remove a section in the middle and caulk the butt joint. No?

I'm not sure if that would work or not. I got mine from Brad's NOS and if I recall correctly, cost around $250. He may still have some left, not sure.

I would have paid 250 bucks. People complain the Brad is exorbitant but I think he prices them at a fair market....

I have the dash prepped out for painting. I wanted to be painting today but I only got an hour in the shop yesterday, but now it is ready to go. I might be able to get back over this week some time.

Dash prepped.sm.jpgDash removed.sm.jpg

Dash prepped.sm.jpg

Dash removed.sm.jpg

The dash is all painted and back together. It went better that I thought. If I had it all over again I wouldn't mess with trying to take the outer rings off the column. The only way to remove them is to pull the wiring out of the wiring harness plug and then pull the wires out through the column. Since I already have everything taped off it was no big deal to paint them in place too.

Dash painted 1.s.jpgDash painted 2.s.jpg

Dash painted 1.s.jpg

Dash painted 2.s.jpg

Came out great! When I saw the 2nd pic I though oh s#it something happened under the glove box.. But after examining, its just a reflection. Shes coming along!

Back