Parking Brake Trouble

Top Cat

Reaction score
So . . . I have this '60 Dart and the parking brake wouldn't hold, so I took it to a shop that specializes in fixing antique cars.

The shop claimed that the brake shoes were worn out (this is the internal type of parking brake with Torqueflite 6 transmission). New shoes were put in, the unit reassembled, and the brake was adjusted.

At this point the brake is still very weak; will not hold car even on mild grades. I think they mentioned that the cable was adjusted as tight as it will go. I had a '62 Imperial once, and the parking brake on that car was a lot stronger. It seems odd that such a simple mechanism can't be made to work!

Anybody have any advice before I go back to the shop?

Those cables tended to stretch as they got older. If you are out of adjustment to further tighten it up, be sure that the shoes are properly adjusted. If that fails, you may need to source a new cable.

Dave

These brakes can work good. I’ve head many that did. They need to assemble it correctly. Do you or they have a factory service manual for this brake? There are parts that only go in one direction.

There is and adjuster between the shoes. Did they adjust it there? Read what the manual says about an adjustment on the cable. Bold print in paragraph 3. And they say that’s how they did it. Looks like we found the problem.

1F52AFCC-88CC-47CA-AA35-FFE62EF41D08.jpeg

C05DE699-DAC1-41B2-8061-25A4229BE570.jpeg

View attachment 497841

B99C0154-A00E-4108-BE32-883645E1C4F2.jpeg

Looking for some insight on how to fasten the front parking brake (e-brake) cable since the new cable does not come with the "squeeze"-type retainer that holds the end of the e-brake fitting in place at the pedal or chassis. Any ideas how to hold the new one in place? I've attached a couple of pics of the old-style clip and the new end without a clip

new cable_no clip.jpg

old cable wSqueeze-type clip.jpg

Back