Part Throttle Kickdown

carrman

Reaction score
After reading Leaburns testimony about having Part throttle kick-down, I'd like to hear what folks who have it, have installed to make it work. I'm hearing that the complex valve body type will kick-down 3-2 at 3/4th throttle, and the simple VB type will kick down at 7/8th throttle. Does the complex type bolt to the simple valve body?

I had my transmission shop install mine while it was getting rebuilt, they called and asked if i wanted that done...

It sure is nice to have

I haven't been able to drive mine yet, the weather is kicking our butts here (it snowed again last night), so I can't give you a seat of the pants comparison. I have driven cars with it and it is a good feature.

The installation is very simple. Drop the pan, unbolt the valve body and unclip the park rod. Remove the plate on the side and bolt the piece in place. There is one bolt on the separator plate that you have to change so it doesn't hit the outside of the part throttle housing. (Note the little allen bolt)

pbLOVc6.jpg

9c4piId.jpg

While you are in there, change the seal for the gear selector shaft in the case and the seal for the throttle shaft on the valve body. I use a nut and bolt with a fender washer to seat the new selector seal.

nOCzefE.jpg

I also put a "bullet" in the gear selector to replace the detente ball and spring. The bore for the ball tends to wear and makes the gear selection a little loose. This helps get rid of that.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723DMZQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

eSVP6aY.jpg

Some 1966 VBs support adding a PTK. I think you can it to all 1967+ VBs. I reworked the VB in the original 727 in my Windsor to add a TransGo TF2 kit and do another mod recommended by "Torqueflite Patty", I also added one of what you called the "complex" PTK module at the same time. Between the VB mods and switching the rear gears from 2.76 to 3.23, that really woke it up! My car felt like it was always in the power band.

The other mod that was recommended to me was to partly fill a particular cavity inside the VB with JB-Weld. Apparently there is high pressure in one section of the VB, especially if you install a kit and turn the pressure up, which can crack and start leaking. A layer of JB-Weld in the floor of that cavity is a preventative measure to strengthen it.

Some 1966 VBs support adding a PTK. I think you can it to all 1967+ VBs. I reworked the VB in the original 727 in my Windsor to add a TransGo TF2 kit and do another mod recommended by "Torqueflite Patty", I also added one of what you called the "complex" PTK module at the same time. Between the VB mods and switching the rear gears from 2.76 to 3.23, that really woke it up! My car felt like it was always in the power band.

The other mod that was recommended to me was to partly fill a particular cavity inside the VB with JB-Weld. Apparently there is high pressure in one section of the VB, especially if you install a kit and turn the pressure up, which can crack and start leaking. A layer of JB-Weld in the floor of that cavity is a preventative measure to strengthen it.
He has sold me the pieces I need to do my '65 904. It's pretty much the top part of later valve body that I have to mate with the earlier cable shift lower. I still haven't done the work, but probably will shortly.

He told me he was trying to get into retirement mode though, and that was last year.

He has sold me the pieces I need to do my '65 904. It's pretty much the top part of later valve body that I have to mate with the earlier cable shift lower. I still haven't done the work, but probably will shortly.

He told me he was trying to get into retirement mode though, and that was last year.
It was many years ago when I bought my PTK module from TFlite Patty and did the aforementioned work. I've heard that he shut down his actual trans shop and no longer has a website, but if you send him a message through his eBay account he'll still sell parts online. I took lots of pics of my VB as I was working on it, with the intention of writing-up a how-to, but never got around to it.

It was many years ago when I bought my PTK module from TFlite Patty and did the aforementioned work. I've heard that he shut down his actual trans shop and no longer has a website, but if you send him a message through his eBay account he'll still sell parts online. I took lots of pics of my VB as I was working on it, with the intention of writing-up a how-to, but never got around to it.
That's how I got in touch with him too. T'Flite Patty's Shop Mart | eBay Stores

But, even his business card says "I'm going to retire", so who knows.

I've also contacted Pat through ebay and we continued our communication through email.

I recently bought a "complex" PTK kit from him. I'm still waiting for it to arrive (together with a lot of other packages, USPS is super slow with deliveries overseas these days).

I've heard that it's a great upgrade to do.
Please share your experiences when possible :)

Back