Parts store computer cross reference rant

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The other day I needed to put a new upper heater hose for my 1969 318 Polara.

I went online and checked the three parts stores we have in town (O'Reily, AutoZone and NAPA) along with RockAuto.
The only one they list was the universal flex hose.

This car does not have AC but the AC hose was available so looked at it but it was not even close. So I went into the stockroom and started looking through hoses and spotted one that looked just like what I had on the car so I got it. Looking at the cross reference I saw that it was used on a berage of other Mopars including a 1970 Polara with a 318. My first thought was that it was somehow missed as also being used on the 1969.

So I thought I'd lookup the factory Mopar part number because on most of the websites you can search for original part numbers.
With the 1969 number I went to the Gates website and first looked it up in their cross reference lookup. Luck has it they had the number.

On to the store sites with that number and sure enough the number comes up (although not in stock) so the hose does exist but not associated with this car on any of the sites.

I ordered one and sure enough it works (sort of), first I thought it might be a little short but figured it was because I had the aluminum radiator in the car till I looked and my reference marks to the original hose locations and noticed the original hose was another inch further out, no way this hose would have worked? even though it was said to be the correct one.

I have ran into this before on my Barracuda that with some parts the stores just don't have a reference for it, today they may say it has been obsoleted but even before the internet I had problems.

Bottom lie never assume that just because a part you need isn't listed that it isn't available, I learned long ago you need to CALL but in this case you need to do your research. EVERYBODY should have the factory parts book for your car is only the CD or PDF from MyMopar.com

All in all the hose was put one and it looks like it will work. The first picture is of the temporary hose (the old hose was sitting on the return spring bracket and wore through), the second picture is of the "correct" hose.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Alan

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Can't say it loud enough or often enough that this is the reason why if you own a car, you need the FSM.

I met a guy at advanced auto in flint that was great for the cross reference! He is now a buddy of mine and sadly doesn't work at the parts store anymore. His willingness to sit at the computer for an hour with me cross referencing different parts and cars was invaluable. I miss it for sure. Now that I'm building my Fury, I get a lot of these looks O_o!

I've been having a lot of problems with AutoZone of late.
I always do my homework first online and I actualy get a printout to go to the counter with.
Using #s FROM THEIR WEBSITE (F●●●, how much more specific can you be?),
they look it up on their puter and nothing agrees.
Brand, p/n, availability, etc.

What's the use... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I've been having a lot of problems with AutoZone of late.
I always do my homework first online and I actualy get a printout to go to the counter with.
Using #s FROM THEIR WEBSITE (F●●●, how much more specific can you be?),
they look it up on their puter and nothing agrees.
Brand, p/n, availability, etc.

What's the use... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

jamokes.

One similar issue I had was looking for rear shocks for my car. Was at Winchester Auto, an independent, top notch parts store in San Jose. They didn't list any. So did some research on rockauto - they didn't list any either. So then I looked up a 73 Fury and & 73 Monaco. Both same p/n's and listed the NY'er and Newpo't in the cross reference / interchange list of cars, so went with that, and boom...

Back