For Sale Patent Remedies & Old Drugstore Items All NOS 1920s to the 1960s

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty mopar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tempe AZ (hotter than a turd on a frypan)
Contact seller
https://photos.google.com/u/1/share...&key=aG9FYzZEa1lKdldmdWk4UmE3bWxWb3pJNVhDZEtR

OK none of it is for sale but just thought you might want to see what I collected 1975-1980 before all the old independent pharmacies were put out of business by the big box stores.

All of the containers are full and were never sold and I paid face value for all of it. Mostly never over a dollar and at times they gave it to me for free due to the age of it. Tooth powder takes up a complete top shelf in 2 cases alone!

The boxes contain bottles or cans and have the original advertising inside for other products they were selling. Everything is in mint condition and when you open the doors on the cabinets the smell is a mixture of salves, tinctures and other volatile products.....old medicine smell.

Wooden containers for pills are from the 1920s and there are some labelled "Wartime Metal Saving Container" from World War 2 when they switched to cardboard.

Some of it was collected during my Mopar buying trips hitting dealerships in small towns, the rest in the Safford area in AZ

Very cool Marty! I love seeing stuff like that. Do you eBay any of that stuff? I know from my listening to Old Time Radio on Sirius that people are interested in that stuff.

Screenshot_20200525_104425.jpg

Very cool Marty. Thanks for sharing. I hope that everything will end up in some type of museum some day.

Never have sold any of it, none of it has controlled substances in it.

The pure food and drug act went into effect in 1906 and some of my stuff has reference to it on the packages so mostly what I have dates after 1906. Products prior to that date could have ANYTHING in it and have claims like "Cures Cancer" on the package. There were NO regulations in effect until this law was passed. So that was the end of the wild west in packaging.

The Pure Food and Drug Act

Although Congress began investigating drug purity in the 1840s, it was during the Progressive Era that it approved the first federal regulations protecting consumers’ health and safety. When Upton Sinclair’s 1906 novel The Jungle revealed food adulteration and unsanitary practices in meat production, public outrage prompted Congress to establish federal responsibility for public health and welfare. The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 prohibited the sale of misbranded or adulterated food and drugs in interstate commerce and laid a foundation for the nation’s first consumer protection agency, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

I have here . . . a number of adulterated articles. Here is a bottle of cherries, originally picked green, in order that they might be firm, with the green color all taken out with acid until they were perfectly white, and then colored with an aniline dye which is poisonous in any quantity.

Representative James Mann of Illinois, Speech to the U.S. House of Representatives, June 21, 1906

this was followed by the Cosmetic Act

The United States Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (abbreviated as FFDCA, FDCA, or FD&C), is a set of laws passed by Congress in 1938 giving authority to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to oversee the safety of food, drugs, medical devices, and cosmetics. A principal author of this law was Royal S. Copeland, a three-term U.S. Senator from New York.[2] In 1968, the Electronic Product Radiation Control provisions were added to the FD&C. Also in that year the FDA formed the Drug Efficacy Study Implementation (DESI) to incorporate into FD&C regulations the recommendations from a National Academy of Sciences investigation of effectiveness of previously marketed drugs.[3] The act has been amended many times, most recently to add requirements about bioterrorism preparations.

The introduction of this act was influenced by the death of more than 100 patients due to a sulfanilamide medication where diethylene glycol was used to dissolve the drug and make a liquid form[4] (see elixir sulfanilamide disaster). It replaced the earlier Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

Last edited:
But even today they won't regulate the POISON they put into vaccines.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist nor a anti-vaccer but the **** they use is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back