PCV and Breather Install MP Valve Covers

Stoffauge

Reaction score
Hey guys this gonna be a short one...

Received my favorite VC finally and just wanted to make sure how and where to install breather and PCV.

Gonna go with Breather on Passenger and PCV on Driver Side. Oil fill Cap?

1. 2 big holes with baffles are already factory. So i was wondering where to put what and what to do with the oil fill cap. SOme people told me its totally ok if I use the factory holes for Pcv and Breather and just remove the breather to refill oil. Will the twist in MP Breather (the one I got) seal again after twisted in and out several times?

2. Position. Breather would be back side of VC passenger and PCV as a consequence of not drilling a sealed hole on the front side of driver side. Is that working or does the PCV HAS to be on the back side of the VC too like the breather?

As a whole I would surely prefer to not drill any holes just to minimize the risk of breaking something if the holes that are already there will work fine.

3. IF I drill in one sealed hole I do have to isntall a baffle below too right? How do I attached it because screws aren´t the proper way I guess.

I am excited to see how you guys did it.

MP VALVE COVERS.jpg

Twist in PCV is a great idea! Haven´t seen them yet so thanks for showing and opinions! Gonna be very carefully ;)

DO NOT tighten very much, they will crack like a walnut, DAHIK

Most of the MP valve covers also come with a knock out plug to install a PCV. You should always run a PCV on any engine except a track only unit. The MP catalogue should show the necessary grommet and baffle to install the PCV in the knock out hole. As noted MP valve covers are very fragile torque the mounting bolts to no more than 95 in/lbs and use a good sealant. I have attached an instruction sheet below, click on Mail 0017, not the icon. www.manciniracing.com also has the grommets.

Dave

Attachments

• Mail0017.PDF
    104.3 KB · Views: 381
The instructions help a lot. Never thought that the bolts just get that small amount of torque! Thanks for the PDF

Question . . . how can intake air (breather) and PCV exist in the SAME item???? Or is it just a fill plug and PCV, which would be different?

The factory always had the intake and vacuum/evac on different sides, but on the systems with a closed pcv system, the oil fill cap (1970) and the pcv were on the same side.

ALWAYS baffle the pcv on the underside of the cover so it doesn't directly suck up oil droplets! On the systems that use the rh can which gets air from the air cleaner housing, those were always on the rh side, but can run with the hose nipple "bare" (no hose to the air cleaner housing). That same can was used on both sides on drag race motors with a pan evacuation system (vents crankcase pressure to the collectors in the headers to decrease crankcase windage).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

2. Position. Breather would be back side of VC passenger and PCV as a consequence of not drilling a sealed hole on the front side of driver side. Is that working or does the PCV HAS to be on the back side of the VC too like the breather?
It doesn't matter if the PCV or breather are at the front or rear of the vc, as long as they're on opposite vc's. The idea is that air gets sucked in through the breather, through the crankcase, and out the PCV valve.

Here are some pictures of my engine. The breather (first picture) sits on the back of the right valve cover. The PCV valve (other two pictures) on the front of the left valve cover. The PCV is mounted on an body which looks like a breather but it is not. The body is just there to twist the PCV valve in the valve cover.

breather.JPG

pcv.JPG

pcv2.JPG

I am going through this same process on my 68 with similar MP valve covers. Thanks for the pics.

I am leaning towards this set, but don’t see that the intake side is vented.

Polished Aluminum Valve Cover Breather / PCV Kit W/ Grommets Chevy Ford Mopar V8 | eBay

It seems lie the intake side being passive is ok??

That set needs additional holes in the valve covers, I don´t like that so I went with the twist in set. It´s made in china but I didn´t find anything else that would fit without work on the valve covers.

Ahhhh. I am tracking you now.

as a follow up question.... would the rubber grommet in the non-twisty one work in the twisty opening currently in the MP VCs? (This is more about me thinking out loud, but no reason you all shouldn’t hear my internal dialogue )

Last edited:
I just found these on Amazon: Genuine Mopar P4529880 Chrome Breather Cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CJ41XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HzN5Eb3Y6EWKK
No port for a PCV, but says they’re designed to fit the MP aluminum VCs.

The Mopar breather fits the twist in hole and is of good quality but it can´t be connected to the hose comming from the air cleaner. When using this breather the opening in the air cleaner must be closed.
Mopar doesn´t offer twist in PCV´s so atleast one additional hole in the valve cover is needed.

Back