PDR help, door dent

mopar440

Reaction score
Looking for tips to remove this dent. I've watched countless vids, but none really give the theory/plan to get a dent like this out, using a glue pull set up

I believe you start at the last piece of the dent ( work in reverse of the damage) but no vid I saw was clear thanks for any help

IMG_20200606_170705312.jpg

IMG_20200606_170717174.jpg

A good "tin knocker" can hammer that out to where it needs only a little filler.
The bad news: try and find one still in business.
They use these. You can give it a try.

a3316966a61b8d987782ff9be8189efb.jpg

try taking the inside panel off and pushing hard with your fingers on the deepest part of the crease. if you can get the boomerang shaped crease out, the rest should pop back into place on it's own.

Looking for tips to remove this dent. I've watched countless vids, but none really give the theory/plan to get a dent like this out, using a glue pull set up

I believe you start at the last piece of the dent ( work in reverse of the damage) but no vid I saw was clear thanks for any help

View attachment 381127

View attachment 381128
Worth pulling the door panel off and see if it can be hammer and dolly out.
A lot of curves in the area.
The metal is stretched from being dented,so heat and quench to shrink it.
If you are lucky it may pop out on its own.
Stud gun would be the last resort if you cannot get it from behind.
The more you work with the metal the better the result with minimal bondo filler.
Hope this helps.

PDR is usually for things like hail dents, NOT what you have in that door panel. The "dent" has stretched the metal. Heat and quench with a damp rag might shrink it enough to THEN work the metal into more of its stamped shapes. I believe that Eastwood sells a "metal shrinker" pad for a drill motor? What's in that door looks more like hammer/dolly work.

One thing I read years ago, with respect to "hammer and dolly" work, was to start at the edges and work inward toward the center of the deformation. A little bit at a time so that the resultant metal work is gradual and better-controlled. Might need to drill some small holes to remove some of the stresses put into the metal when it was deformed? Which would then allow it to be re-formed easier, using the least amount of filler.

Any time you take a convex stamping and put a concave shape into it, metal stretch will occur. It will take some finesse to get it back to convex, I suspect. Might have to end up at a higher-end restoration shop in order to get a really good metal worker to make it right.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I looked around for a PDR guy, some looked at the old car and said metal is too thick for their tools. Most said no way over the phone.

A friend a state over found a guy to do it, he had to make new tools for the job. Did great work on a 1969 mopar.

I looked around for a PDR guy, some looked at the old car and said metal is too thick for their tools. Most said no way over the phone.

A friend a state over found a guy to do it, he had to make new tools for the job. Did great work on a 1969 mopar.
Good to know, I figured new guys probably won't touch it

I had some connections with other PDR guys and they all said the same thing, and this is also going back 20 years ago as well. The metal is thicker and tons harder to work on then the beer can tin cars of today. You look at a car hard enough they'll dent now days!

There are some restoration body work schools that teach the fine art of metal shaping. But they usually start with a flat piece of metal, then make it into multi-radius shapes. Isn't there a window regulator behind that dented panel?

I concur that the person behind/working the tools can be more important than the tools themselves.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

There are some restoration body work schools that teach the fine art of metal shaping. But they usually start with a flat piece of metal, then make it into multi-radius shapes. Isn't there a window regulator behind that dented panel?

I concur that the person behind/working the tools can be more important than the tools themselves.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Yes there is, that's why I wanted to try pdr first

Back