$pecialty Tool$ for Timing chain replacement?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Greetings Learned Elder Moparians!

Health, Felicity, Strong Vacuum to ye all,

Planning to replace Mathilda's timing set Turkeyday, I wonder if I should invest in a harmonic balancer installer bolt/thrust bearing now to insure a good install. I have a decent puller, which resembles the one depicted in the FSM pretty well in fact, but the only 3/4"-16 bolt I have on hand besides the three for their respective crankshafts around here is one for my old Greenlee knockout punches. This bolt certainly lacks nothing regarding good steel quality, save perhaps length.

Ergo, should I drop some cash on a purpose specific installer or does the crankshaft bolt have enough thread to press the balancer back on to the nose reliably and consistently without this little investment?

I happily avail myself of your Moparian wisdom and lore.

I use a small block Mopar bolt on the big blocks. It's longer and gets the dampener started. Once it's on, switch to the proper bolt and pull the rest of the way on.

I use a small block Mopar bolt on the big blocks. It's longer and gets the dampener started. Once it's on, switch to the proper bolt and pull the rest of the way on.
Thanks for that, I wondered where I got the longer bolt!

Gratias Big John! After consulting the wife and my PayPal account, I discovered more funds than expected so I just bought a "peace of mind" installer from Rick Ehrenberg:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323868495459

which looks like just the ticket in case I need something with extra length, which seems to be the most desirable thing when pressing the balancer back on. My Greenlee bolt isn't long enough to be worth trying instead of the actual bolt, so having a longer bolt should assure that no threads are wrecked.

Your posts make me smile Jerry.
Any of the retail auto pars store rent them for free, just buy it, use it, then return with their rental tool program.

Your posts make me smile Jerry.
Any of the retail auto pars store rent them for free, just buy it, use it, then return with their rental tool program.

Oh I KNOW they rent tools, and I used a Pittman arm puller to good effect a year ago. Given that I have 3 B blocks in various states of completion, I figure owning one of these tools might be worthwhile. I've been BLESSED with quite a fortune in mechanics tools from fellow Faithful. (K's of C, St. V d P et al.) In all this high grade antique steel the Lord has blessed me with, a damper installer isn't to be found so....

I thank you for the reminder. Uh oh, the baby is yelling!

so I just bought a "peace of mind" installer from Rick Ehrenberg:

You'll like that one I do believe. Any setup that gives you a "bearing surface" besides just the bolt/washer/balancer should work nice. I never knew how hard I was making it on myself until I bought the Proform? puller/installer with a very large Torrington bearing integrated in it.

Ehrenberg doesn't supply a thrust bearing, alas! I priced SAE grade 8 3/4-16 all thread and bolts before making this buy. He's selling a nice bolt, nut, 1 round washer and 1 thicker square one. His price is fair enough, given what I saw for similar hardware, including replacement "draw studs" for my Greenlee set. I might check the used tool store here for a thrust bearing if I think I need one. The long, strong bolt is the decisive element in such purchases. I dig Proform tools as a rule.

Back