Perfectly Rebuilt Stromberg WWC for < $60!

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Another Happy Surprise From ePay! I bought this some months ago, seeing a nasty little puddle on my intake manifold under the bowl of my Stromberg WWC. Found another of the same vintage, 2-272 claiming to have been rebuilt. It looked rebuilt and for ~ $55 I figured I'd done well. I already had purchased the Hygrade 339 kit from Rock with intent of re-doing my current carb when the puddle became a pond....

The puddle expanded this past August, dropping my in town gas mileage from 11 mpg down to an appalling 6.67 mpg, which I can't afford, so I popped open the box the rebuilt came in, unbolted the old one, adjusted the bowl vent lever rod such that it would be open at exactly .062" (The FSM calls of 1/16 inch which is .0625" but my feeler gauge isn't so precise.) nicely torqued the replacement's manifold stud nuts down to 84 in.-lbs, hooked up my manual choke cable and vacuum advance, cranked the motor some seconds to fill the bowl, gave Tilly a hit of ether then VROOM!

The motor runs smoother than it did with the older carb with its tired gaskets, and I turned the idle mixture screws in to the recommended 1.5 turns out from their dead stop, which should give me about a 40% leaner mix than what I was juicing the motor with previously. Vacuum still pulls at 18 inches at an idle around 650 rpm. I'll run this tank through it and see what sort of mileage I now get.

Back