Performance distributor for poly 318

Electrical & Ignition

1. Canadian 66 Fury

Canadian 66 Fury New Member

Hey guys I bought a performance distributor for my poly 318 in my 66 fury. It fits.... barely but I am excited about getting the car running on it. My question it if anyone else has run this setup and what you did for a fused line, did you run it just right off the battery and fused it or if you put a line off the fuse block in the dash.

A089B0BF-97A9-41AF-9DA4-2FF55257E6AD.jpeg

A01E0F89-3ECE-4E12-A587-81F015A50500.jpeg

B80FF2F6-773A-48C7-820D-3CBA2A6E6E49.jpeg

2. halifaxhops

halifaxhops Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

YOU DO NOT WANT IT RIGHT OFF THE BATTERY! It has to be able to be turned off with the ignition switch, now a relay rom there will work if it takes amperage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Canadian 66 Fury

Ya I was thinking that going off the battery would be bad. The post on it says battery but it doesn’t come with any kind of schematic or instructions.

4. Xenon

Xenon Senior Member

The 12V source to the ballast.. It is keyed...

I re-typed it so you can understand.....

( thank you, 65sporty ) :):)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Canadian 66 Fury

They say on the website not to go to the ballast resistor. Apparently this style of distributor eliminates the need for it in the system.

6. CBODY67

CBODY67 Old Man with a Hat

DUI uses something like a GM HEI adaptation (GM HEI only needs a keyed 12v wire to make it work, no inlne ballasts or anything). Wire it as DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) says to wire it.

The "power" is in the advance curve, not specifically the electrics of the distributor. Even if the coil CAN produce a 50kv spark, if the plug only needs 10kv to fire it, that's all it makes, for example. It can be nice to have that much reserve, if needed, though. Add some new Iridium plugs for a better ZAP (due to their "fine wire" electrodes).

Enjoy!
    CBODY67

7. 65sporty

65sporty Old Man with a Hat

What @Xenon is saying is to take the 12v supply on the ballast resistor that is keyed 12v ignition and use it to power the distributor. Not the power through the ballast resistor that is cut down to about 8-9v

8. mr. fix it

mr. fix it Old Man with a Hat

That is correct as you typed here.

Grab your source from the 12V side of the resistor. Some have gutted the resistor to maintain a stock look but it doesn't matter in your case since viewers will see the HEI distributor & should realize it's not factory.

Let us Poly powered people know how it performs once it's all back together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1