Performance Indicator placement

ideologist

Reaction score
I bought one because I love them, but my car does not have a console. Do the consoles bolt in or did they need to be installed at the factory? I'm tempted to add one and just block out the shifter part, so I can mount the vacuum indicator.

This is probably demented either way, but curious to know what my options are. I love the indicator gauge, so silly but a pretty beautiful part.

If the console is a fool's errand, I will try and figure out a different mounting solution.

Consoles had special brackets welded to the trans tunnel to which the console was bolted.

Consoles were available with "shifter delete plates" - a 4 speed top was used and a ribbed plate was screwed in place. Extremely rare.

Consoles had special brackets welded to the trans tunnel to which the console was bolted.

Consoles were available with "shifter delete plates" - a 4 speed top was used and a ribbed plate was screwed in place. Extremely rare.

That's exactly what I was thinking anyway. Do you happen to have a photo of what that looks like?

It sounds like I won't be going with a console since I don't have the bracket welded on, but I'll look at one from a parts car and see what I can fabricate

The performance indicator was a fancy vacuum gauge. Some of the 300 series cars could also be had with a cable driven tachometer that took the place of the vacuum gauge in the console. Cable ran off the base of the dual point distributor. Letter series cars in '64 all came with the dual point and it was capped off if no tach was present.

Dave

Yes, mine is a vacuum model, I have the T fitting ready to swap in, just trying to decide how to mount the indicator in the car if I can.

I've only ever seen one. Local car. 66 Sport Fury, /6 column shift auto with buckets and console.

Kevin

Consoles are very expensive and it's hard to find one in good shape. Most have been eaten up by the b body guys.

DSC04560.JPG
68 new yorker

65 barracudas used the Same tachometer As the manual trans 66 Chrysler , my Friend removed the tach And fitted a performance indicator I sold him and mounted it behind the housing fascia .so my point is if you want to mount it to the dash maybe find a 65 barracuda sound and mount it to your dash somehow

65-68 cars also had a choice of either a vacuum gauge or an "electronic" (solid state non-cable driven) tach.

Ross, for Chrysler cars (300, New Yorker, etc.) I do not think the tach was an option unless the car was a 4 speed. I've never seen a tach with the same shape and appearance as the vacuum gauge.

I can't say for sure and could well be wrong - perhaps the tach simply wasn't promoted that way for auto trans cars, but I'm pretty sure the tach was available regardless of trans choice AFAIK.

I can't say for sure and could well be wrong - perhaps the tach simply wasn't promoted that way for auto trans cars, but I'm pretty sure the tach was available regardless of trans choice AFAIK.

In all the research I did when I restored my car, I never saw a rectangular tach for a C body Chrysler with auto trans. If one was available, I probably would have installed it.

65-68 cars also had a choice of either a vacuum gauge or an "electronic" (solid state non-cable driven) tach.
For 1966 at least, I'm pretty sure the choice of vacuum gauge or tach depended on the trans. Possibly you could special-order it (never say never!) but I have the 1966 Chrysler options code list and there isn't one to specify the gauge type in the console.

There are 2 different styles of gauge being discussed here. The Chrysler interior, including the center console, was redesigned between 1965 and 1966. Based on his profile pic, @ideologist has a 1965 New Yorker, so the console pics that @rexus31 posted are correct. The pic that @GOLDMYN posted is the 1966+ style console and gauge housing.

In all the research I did when I restored my car, I never saw a rectangular tach for a C body Chrysler with auto trans. If one was available, I probably would have installed it.
I’m talking about a 66-68 Chrysler vac Guage is the same hole size as the 65 Barra tach , We are not talking about 65 Chryslers here , it’s 66-68 .
You are on the wrong track .

I’m talking about a 66-68 Chrysler vac Guage is the same hole size as the 65 Barra tach , We are not talking about 65 Chryslers here , it’s 66-68 .
You are on the wrong track .
Actually I think we are talking about 1965 Chryslers here.... That is what the OP has, and he didn't provide a picture of the actual vacuum gauge that he purchased so we don't know whether he got the 1965 one or the 1966-68 one.

Back