Performance Indicator placement

Sorry mike , he bought the Guage off me so I know it’s 1966 ! I dont know how things got onto 65s . The guy has a no. Floor shift set up and wants to mount it somewhere , so I suggested a 65 Barra surround as in my pic on the Post above

Last edited:
...and I confused the issue not clarifying originally if his was a 65 car or not. Sorry for my part in this.

So - a 66 tach/vac guage will not fit in a 65 console with the squarish bezel like Rexus' car has, but MIGHT fit in a 65 console that has the round bezel.

FWIW I mounted my vac gauge (66 style) on my 66 T&C's dash by turning it upside down in the housing and using a black plastic cap from a spray-bomb as a filler. Looks right at home!

I'll post pics later today.

Exactly what I mounted to hang from my dash.

FWIW, the guts and dial may fit behind a 65 round bezel console, but I don't know for sure. I'll also post pics of the dash mount thing I did with mine.

Sorry mike , he bought the Guage off me so I know it’s 1966 ! I dont know how things got onto 65s . The guy has a no. Floor shift set up and wants to mount it somewhere , so I suggested a 65 Barra surround as in my pic on the Post above

You always have the coolest stuff, thanks for sending it along. I thought it looked like the 65 round gauges so it will match, I'll make it work somehow

I had bought an early A body vac gage (performance indicator if you will) to put in the round opening on my 65 Polara console but the gage was too large to fit properly so I stayed with the Sun Tach I'd stuck in there. I also bought a 65 Chrysler console with the rectangular vacuum gage that's still sitting on the shop floor - I may still stuff it into a Polara just to mess with purists.

Here's a pic of ny vac gauge mounted to my 66 T&C dash:
20200704_135538.jpg

I could be wrong here but it appears that the 66-68 B-body cars had a console mounted tach that uses the identical housing as the Chrysler vac gauge. That could be an option. As for mounting it without a console, could you not turn it upside down and drill a mounting hole in the underside of the dash? I imagine the gauge could be turned in the housing.

Just my thoughts.

I could be wrong here but it appears that the 66-68 B-body cars had a console mounted tach that uses the identical housing as the Chrysler vac gauge. That could be an option. As for mounting it without a console, could you not turn it upside down and drill a mounting hole in the underside of the dash? I imagine the gauge could be turned in the housing.

Just my thoughts.

That's correct, same housing. Mounting it under the dash is exactly what I did with my wagon - see the pics in my post above.

Back