pertronix electronic ignition installation? (66 fury vip)

DarkwingFury

Reaction score
Hey so i just got the pertronix ignitor III electronic ignition for my 1966 plymouth fury vip 383 6.l v8. Anyone put this on before? the reluctor (star shaped point thingy) in distributor is too large for this. Ive double checked box and verified with seller that i recieved the 1959-75 v8 mopar electric kit for my car. Im stuck. The other photos ive seen for reluctors on my car show more of a nut shape rather than asterisk star shaped. Any ideas? Thanks

electronic ignition ?'s with pic

So the first picture dhows the 383 mopar's reluctor in the distributor. The relector is so large that it cannot even turn because it hits the body of new electric piece. 2nd pic shows more of what im seeing fits, the smaller almost nut shaped reluctor. But im not sure if i need to swap out reluctors if thats even a thing or what.... thanks for any insight on this

1827249-Distributor_conmod1_crop.jpg

Pertronx 8.jpg

So apparently i didnt realize my distributor was for 73-81 mopars. So i exchanged for matching electronic ignition which did finally fit. However it would not even attempt a start. Checked timing , tdc, still nothing. Put original distributor parts back in and started just fine. The knowledgeable mechanic friend who knows more couldnt figure it out. I took it into another friend whos a master mechanic at a dodge dealership and he said pertonix electronic ignitions notoriously do not work on old mopars. Anyone else hear this?

I'm running pertronix on two of my cars and they work flawlessly.
I just went with the basic kit though, why Ignitor III?

I have them on a 318 Fury and a 383 Challenger R/T, and am about to install them in a Prestolite dual point 340-6 distributor and a Prestolite marine distributor in my 340 powered Chrysler boat. Zero problems with them. I have had two condenser failures in the last year in the 340-6 distributor....something that I never remember happening in the good ol days, and I'm tired of changing them.

for the distributor i have i went down to the pertronix 2. Its very simple to install yet car wont fire with it. Its gapped cocorrectly and everything. Then put original bits back on and its fine.

I believe with the II-III the ballast resistor is completely bypassed and a hotter coil is definitely needed. I'm assuming that's all been done? I only have the Petronix I and I've had no issues. Ballast resistor is still in play.

Even with the basic system I have bypassed or hard wired the ballast resistors on both cars and gone with the hotter coil.

Went with a hotter coil. Idk anything about a ballast resistors and im guessing THAT right there is the prob. Im assuming this is then related to why after attempting to install it without bypassing resistors my ignition went out, correct? Can Anyone provide a pic of ballast resistor please ecplain u ot to bypass? Thanks for your help

I just received the Pertronix II kit for my Prestolite dual point 340-6 distributor. The instructions say you can either bypass the ballast resistor...or not, with the stock coil. The implication is that it will perform better with the resistor bypassed, but it's not required to do with the stock coil, which I'm going to keep.

Easiest way and to keep it looking stock under the hood is to remove the resistor and remove the resistor part of the resistor from the back side and replace it with the appropriate length of 8 or 10 gage wire. Put it back and reconnect and you're done.

can yall put some pics and a write up or something so us non mechanics can follow along? I was wanting to do this upgrade, but im scared and need someone to hold my hand :)

- saylor

It's literally the easiest thing to do right behind an oil change. The directions that came with the basic kit are really easy to follow.

Back