Pertronix nightmare

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Hello fellas and fell-ettes,

I am writing to inform you of a Pertronix issue that has baffled me for nearly 2 weeks, until I finally figured it out today. Mind you, I like the Pertronix kits, and the kits in my Riviera and Newport work flawlessly. I plan to use the kits on my cars in the future. This issue was surely a fluke.

My New Yorker with 413 was running great with the 1381A kit since last September. Then 2 weeks ago it started running like it was dropping a cylinder (or two). I went through the plugs and wires, everything I could think of. Fuel....timing. Nobody could figure it out. In a last desperate attempt to solve the issue today, I looked at the ROTOR.

Here's what happened: the factory tape around the magnetic ring that senses the distributor lobes had peeled off. This exposed the 8 small magnets that activate the module. TWO of those small magnets centrifuged themselves out of the magnetic ring, and thus disabled two plug wires at the distributor cap. The photo shows the tiny magnets gone from the ring.
I swapped in the rotor from my Newport, and voila! the New Yorker was back in business. Sure, I should have traced the spark earlier, which might have given me the answer much sooner, but I ain't that smart. I thought I was approaching the problem logically, but, well, now I know better. CBARGE was a huge help with suggestions and moral support.

I called Pertronix, and they are sending me a replacement magnetic ring free of charge.

113_0733.JPG

113_0734.JPG

113_0735.JPG

This is why folks running this system needs to have extra rotor in your car. You aren’t going to find these on the shelf anyplace when you are stranded.

i was scolded real hard by some A-hole on one of these sites when I suggested the rotor was unique and folks should have an extra.

True enough 413. I'm gonna throw the points in the glove box.

I just run the points under the hood and forget about the fancy stuff!

I got an electric ignition kit from Rick Ehrenberg's eBay for my 383, haven't used it but I've heard very good things about him and it's basically the same as the OEM EI components used on the 70 and up Chryslers. Points are pretty easy though, if nothing else have HalifaxHops refurbish the points distributor and get a few more points (and dist cam lube as well).

Thanks Barry. As I've mentioned before, your photo was my screen saver for a period of time!

103_0875.JPG

That is a semi common problem with the Petronix reluctors. Second one I have actually seen.

Right you are, Slocum, that is IF you could locate both magnets. They are tiny, and one of them got away!

That sucks. I've had that happen more than once. I've had some other issue with Pertronix and finally gave up on them. I've had good luck with the MSD stuff, and on the odd ball stuff, have even machined a breaker plate to use the MSD (Knock off Duraspark) pick up and wheels with success.

Thanks Troy,

My Mopar guru tells me that the OEM Mopar electronic ignition units were good units, so I'll probably ask him where to get my hands on one (or two) of those.

I've heard lots of people like the electronic units but i have stuck with the points and condenser. Just my choice.
John

Pertronics WAS a nightmare for me. Back to points for years now. If I ever try electronic again, it will be Mopar all the way. My opinion FWIW. Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay. By the way, did Moncton used to be called something else? Why did they change it?

Without going to the history books, Moncton has been Moncton for well over 100 years. It was called "The Bend", but that was before it became a recognized community. Moncton's boundaries have expanded several times, taking in towns and villages such as Lewisville, Sunny Brae, Parkton, Georgetown, Hildegard and others. Hope that is helpful. Lindsay

Sounds like a literal flying magnet in a " flying magnet" system. That tape system seems a little cheesy I would hope they could do better than that.

I use a factoy mopar electronic distributor with magnetic pickup. But I have a remotely mouted
GM HEI ignition module. I did this for the availability of modules. I have ran it for probably 8 years on the original module which I expect to outlast the GM type installation because it is no longer inside a 185 degree distributor. Its on the core support on an aluminum heat sink.
Thats the good news.
The other news is that GM has not used that module in over 35 years. So I have discovered they are no longer in every autoparts store.
They are still more readily available than a chrysler box . I do still have cars that run those and they are fine.
But I have a spare GM module in the glove box. It's not much bigger than a book of matches.

And if I want to be a real cheap *** and not spend the $15 the autozone supplied module had a lifetime guarantee.

Back