Phantom windscreen washer

system11

Reaction score
Edit: car is 1969 Fury III
So a few weeks ago I noticed the windscreen washer doesn't work. I had some time to look at it today and saw that the tube had been unplugged from the bonnet jets, and aimed at the floor. The bottom screw with the earth wire had been removed.

Put a screw in and ... you guessed it water just starts shooting out of the pump continuously.

So I checked the wiring diagram and it seems to take a 12v feed from the windscreen wiper connectors, through the switch and back to the pump. I thought the switch might be stuck closed so disconnected both connectors and ..

Put the screw back in = pump runs continuously, even with the ignition off.

Has anyone ever seen this one? Can't be the switch, and the pump clearly works. Starting to seem like I might have to pull the battery and all the bulkhead connectors, and hunt for shorts in the looms which ... yeah not really looking forward to that. Are the connectors fairly robust or known for breaking?

Yes, you have a short somewhere. The bulkhead connectors are pretty strong.

When you plug the bulkhead connectors back in, you have to watch out that some of the wires don't "slip backwards" and make a bad connection. For most of the wires, you can push them forward with a tiny screw driver into the bulkhead wiring block to make sure the connections are good.

I also recommend a good dousing of de-oxit on both sides of the bulkhead connection points, prior to final reassembly.

Back