pics of a bad disc swap - how NOT to route the hose!

fury fan

Reaction score
Saw this on a car on ebay.
While the drumbrake booster is a common mistake that prevents full braking in an emergency (which might never be an issue), this brake hose will surely abrade on that spindle and road grime, causing a leak and total loss of braking at the front.
Brake hoses cannot ever rub on any surface.

1652538192950.png

1652538261970.png

MetalManiacAZ

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yup, not to mention the drum master cylinder that doesn't have a larger reservoir for additional fluid for the calipers.

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
Wow, that is really ugly. The proportional valve may help with the wrong booster, however of course, why not use the readily available correct one. The hose routing is absolutely atrocious, how could one think that's right? Looks like a modern banjo fitting on the hose and caliper and that adapter plate also seems to be really close to the disc. To quote another member " try not to die".

Knebel

Reaction score
Looks like the sides were reversed and it was installed incorrectly. I dont know about the dustshields... where would one even get those aftermarket? My kits didnt come with them either.

On my jeep the dustshields are very annoying and i constantly have dirt and rocks get caught between them and making crazy sounds when offroading. Anyway... :D

Reaction score
Look a bit closer at the photo. Where are you going to mount those dust shields?

Last edited:

Ross Wooldridge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am not sure - that whole thing gets uglier each time I look at it... however on a properly done 69 through 73 disc brake conversion there's room for the proper backing plates, and all you have to do for the brake hose is to clock the brake hose retainer (at the fitting on the stub frame) 90° and use a 1976 van flex hose and you're good to go.

68PK21 440.6bbl

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Dust shields are actually available in reproduction...
They aren't really 'Dust Shields' but 'Splash Shields' as in to keep road water from 'splashing' onto the disc rotors 'cuz as we all know water on the brakes reduces the stopping power/distance of brakes 'Wet Brakes'.

DISC.BRAKE.SPLASH.SHIELD.jpg

There are also instructions on how to install the brake hose. Real simple IMHO.