Pivot shaft nut replacement

Dylan Galvin

Reaction score
I need a new one for the 66 Monaco's passenger side LCA. Can I just grab a castle nut at a hardware store or should I dig it out of a junkyard or is there a source for them online? I've seen pretty much nothing about it while googling, and dont know if theres anything special about the nut that makes it hard to get

I believe they are a stover nut, mechanical lock nut?
Well it seems like a castle nut and I heard somewhere that it was self locking. If I can just pick up the correct size of that it would be easy, but would like confirmation im doing it properly

I need a new one for the 66 Monaco's passenger side LCA. Can I just grab a castle nut at a hardware store or should I dig it out of a junkyard or is there a source for them online? I've seen pretty much nothing about it while googling, and dont know if theres anything special about the nut that makes it hard to get

Mopar did not use keyed castle nuts on the LCA after '66?, they used a stover nut as noted. These are a special nut that is designed to be self locking so that they do not shake loose. They have a flat flanged base with a conical top that creates locking friction. You should replace them with the same style nut. Ace Hardware should stock a good selection of stovers.

Dave

Last edited:
Mopar did not use keyed castle nuts on the LCA, they used a stover nut as noted. These are a special nut that is designed to be self locking so that they do not shake loose. They have a flat flanged base with a conical top that creates locking friction. You should replace them with the same style nut. Ace Hardware should stock a good selection of stovers.

Dave
Weird. Ever since the first time I took the suspension apart there has been a castle nut with 3 raised spots and a hole through the pivot shaft threads with a cotter pin in it. Maybe someone swapped out the shafts in the past 50 years and they're like that, I dont know. Should I just grab the stover nuts and ditch the cotter pins or try to match my existing setup?

Weird. Ever since the first time I took the suspension apart there has been a castle nut with 3 raised spots and a hole through the pivot shaft threads with a cotter pin in it. Maybe someone swapped out the shafts in the past 50 years and they're like that, I dont know. Should I just grab the stover nuts and ditch the cotter pins or try to match my existing setup?

Sorry about that. The older mopars used a castle nut with a key, it is an oddball with wide cuts. That is probably going to be a wrecking yard item. The castle on those cars is a beefier item than you hardware item. I am not sure, but I think they went to stovers in '67.

Dave

Last edited:
Sorry about that. The older mopars used a castle nut with a key, it is an oddball with wide cuts. That is probably going to be a wrecking yard item. The castle on those cars is a beefier item than you hardware item. I am not sure, but I think they went to stovers in '67.

Dave
I see, no worries. I need to get to a junkyard for a booster anyway. Thanks

My father and I blasted over to HVAP in the charger this morning and they scooped one off a 65 Fury. Here's what was wrong with the one on the Monaco. Im probably the one who screwed that thing up

20200422_091254.jpg

Back