Planes Trains and Automobiles oh my!

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Last year my father passed away and left us with is collection (hoard).

He accumulated a massive amount of plastic model kits and diecast cars dating back into the 50's. Realistically speaking 90% of them are less than 30 years old. It took us a good part of a year (one day a week) to just clear out the piles of miscellaneous junk just so we could get access to the stuff that may have value (this includes 60 years worth of architectural books (again 90% are less than 30 years old)).

We have already removed several hundred boxes filled with car kits and another hundred or so loose airplane and large scale car kits, still in the house are another hundred or so boxes with HO scale structures and rolling stock. This doesn't include the unknown hundreds of diecast cars still to collected and boxed up.

The shear volume of this is monumental and will most likely liquidate for pennies on the dollar because of the cost just to store them while trying to sell them. My parents house is two hours away and not convenient to work from trying to sell on ebay.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

These diecast are 6 deep...
IMG_0219.jpg

as are these...
IMG_0220.jpg

This is a 10x15 room that you can barely move around in...
IMG_0222.jpg

So anybody that is interested in anything please refrain from bugging me too much yet as I have little to no idea what is there. If you know it exist then let me know to keep an eye out for it other wise having me look for a unicorn just isn't practical.

I still have no idea what my plan is but as I catalog or ready stuff for sale I'll most certainly post here. Anybody that want to see the collection fist hand feel free to contact me.

Alan

Wow.

Sorry for your loss Alan.

That is a daunting task , to say the least.

Alan, I am also sorry for your loss. As you progress with this task, I may be able to help you. I have been an avid model builder for over 55 years and remember most kits and reissues. If interested send me a PM and we can exchange numbers.
Bill

Sorry for your loss. With me it was my mother and I understand exactly what you're going through. You know it's worth more than you'll get but your time is worth more. Although her house was always neat and tidy, she had an unbelievable amount of stuff packed into her small house.

Thank you for offering on here first. My two cents, in hind site, it may have been worth hiring an reputable auction company. Even with the fees paid to them, you'd probably break even on the sale and it would save you all the time, effort, and emotion of going through all the things, trying to figure out what the price should be and selling it.

Because you're still in the middle of it, it may be too soon but after cleaning out my mother's house, I've decided to collect as much as I can to be a pain in the *** for my family to sort through when I go. :)

He accumulated a massive amount of plastic model kits and diecast cars dating back into the 50's. Realistically speaking 90% of them are less than 30 years old. It took us a good part of a year (one day a week) to just clear out the piles of miscellaneous junk just so we could get access to the stuff that may have value (this includes 60 years worth of architectural books (again 90% are less than 30 years old)).

We have already removed several hundred boxes filled with car kits and another hundred or so loose airplane and large scale car kits, still in the house are another hundred or so boxes with HO scale structures and rolling stock. This doesn't include the unknown hundreds of diecast cars still to collected and boxed up.

The shear volume of this is monumental and will most likely liquidate for pennies on the dollar because of the cost just to store them while trying to sell them. My parents house is two hours away and not convenient to work from trying to sell on ebay.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

as are these...
IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

So anybody that is interested in anything please refrain from bugging me too much yet as I have little to no idea what is there. If you know it exist then let me know to keep an eye out for it other wise having me look for a unicorn just isn't practical.

I still have no idea what my plan is but as I catalog or ready stuff for sale I'll most certainly post here. Anybody that want to see the collection fist hand feel free to contact me.

Alan
I am sorry for your loss and understand as I went thru this a couple of years ago with my father. My business is selling model kits mostly aircraft and armor. If you would like to talk about selling them all at once let me know thanks Rene

Alan, you absolutely have to have an appraisal done by an auction house.
You may end up with 10 cents on the dollar but you'd end up with pennies on the dollar otherwise.

Alan, sorry to hear of your loss.

And wow that is a ton of stuff, I haven't seen that much diecast since I was in Charlotte a bunch of years ago.

Sorry to hear of your father passing. As for the collection, well, if you had been on the east coast I would have driven over in a Van and taken a big swathe off your hands. But California is a bit of a drive.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

as are these...
IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Alan

Alan: I did not know about your father's passing until now. Very sorry to hear about it. I hope you are able to get his treasures organized and, in the end, into the hands of people who appreciate them as much as he did.

Back