Plastic Insert Resource?

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a vendor that makes plastic inserts for our big beautiful cars? Specifically I am rehabbing the fender top turn signal lights on my 1968 300. One of the plastic inserts under the light assembly is in great shape, but the other is complete trashed...

Thank you!

Normally I’d say just buy another one - but let’s assume it’s the year 2100 and there’s no more old cars to pick from.

I don’t know any companies specifically but any local artisan or moulding shop should be able to make you a good set with your good one as a blueprint.
You may even be interested in bringing to a local state/private university’s art department. A lot of schools take on tasks like that for free and give it as a project for the students

Picture?

Is it a colored insert for the bulb, or just black plastic like a gasket?

This is of the good side:
06A477AF-6453-48D6-90FC-15CBB051DFE2.jpeg

AB5F2B67-7054-4A07-B63E-A0A6A1487308.jpeg

I think the original color of the insert was tan. Looks to have been hit with the paint whenever the car was redone.
7305FE5E-B5E8-44AD-B8C0-7C4A2B88B9FE.jpeg

Dont know if this helps but these are the inserts for cab marker lights on 94-98 Dodge pick ups. They fit in a 1/4" square hole and the flange is 1/2" square.
20181110_114327.jpg

Thank you for that link, doesn't look like they have the specific part I am looking for. Any others??

Thanks!

Classic Industries has stuff for E- and B-bodies. It would worth a checking out, if the same parts fit to Cs as well.

Thank you @Big_John ! I think those might be percisly what I am looking for. I now know to call these things ‘clips’.

Alright... So I got the clips in yesterday and with some minor modifications they look like they are going to work out. But my next questions is about how the turn signal light are meant to stay up in the housing once they are installed.

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG

but what I can't figure out now is how the light is suppose to stay up in the housing:
IMG_1899.JPG

The light protrudes up through the fender into the housing, but it does not appear that there is anything there to hold it in place?

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I would try modifying another clip but instead of cutting off the tap, I'd try cutting a slot into it just wide enough for the wire harness to go through so the clip would hold the amber lens into the chrome housing.

Modified Clip.JPG

I think the clip was supposed to hold it in place. Looking at your first pic, I'd say that there are remnants of the plastic clip (the part you cut off) stuck to the fender.

Thank you for the suggestions.

The tab part of the clip had a little ridge under it not allowing the housing to sit flush on the fender. Maybe version 2.0 I’ll get rid of the ridge instead of cutting the tab completely.

The width of the tab is only slightly wider than the ‘neck’ of the fender light. There wouldn’t be much left if I try to make a fork out of it to hold the light. But I do like your thinking.

I’ll keep you posted!

9FCAED3A-00A6-4D93-8991-908FA4A97A31.jpeg

The hole on the right fender looks drilled and sawed, The hole on the left fender looks "factory" punched along with being longer and closer to the screw hole.

Bet the clip fits the left fender.

Here is the original set up and clip from a spare fender extension that I have... my intention was to send you the clips that I have to help you out, but just the process of try to CAREFULLY remove them resulted in one splitting into 2 pieces, and the other has cracks where the screw threads ( probably occurred 50 years ago!) any way here are several reference photos to help with the mystery..... and if you still want the original clips -just send me a PM with your address!
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
Oh BTW the chrome housings do not fit flush with the extension.... you can see light under the light assembly before I even touched the screws!

Back