Plucked Chickens

Polaraco

Reaction score
Do 62 Chryslers fit in the C Body catagory? Interesting subject

62Day40-1.jpg

Well,the A body was the Valiant and Lancer (62 last year for the Lancer)
The B body was brand new in 62 with the Savoy/Belvedere/Fury,and Dart (62 only as a B body)Polara/440/330.(220 model offered in Canada only 63-64)
Loosely,the 62 Chrysler-and the orphaned Dodge 880 would be considered C's even though Chrysler did not give the full size cars the C moniker until 1965.
For reference,I would say,yes.
1962 was a big year for changes inside Chrysler.
Shuffling of designers and designs Virgil Exner fired,Elwood Engle came in from Ford),changes in model line ups only led to confusion and thus even today still some confusion.
Plymouth was not available as a full size car for three model years (62,63,64)
Desoto was dropped and the full sized Dodge filled the gap.
It was basically a Chrysler with its own front clip ,dash and rear tail treatment.It was what the Desoto would have been if it were kept alive.

The Dart nameplate is the only nameplate seen on three body types.
It was on full size cars 1960-61.It was a B body for 1962 only.Then in 1963 is was on the A body up until 1976.

Last edited:
NO...................

Oh a Jersey Boy Huh?

Why?

It happens in 1962 Chrysler Corp had all the body sizes. The 62 was post Exner designs.

In 62, you had the
Chrysler, in 2 body sizes, full size
Dodge was the 880, Dart, and Lancer
Plymouth had the Fury in the B Frame, and the Valiant.

It wasn't until 1965 The Chrysler officially came up with the letter designations. They had to do something. . . They introduced the Barracuda in 64 1/2.

So it may be a plucked chicken, but it isn't an orphan either.

I remember these cars new! I was driving in 1966

Its all up for debate. Since Chrysler didn't consider it a C body then the answer is NO. Call it full sized but not a C. Just because you remember them new and driving them in 1966 doesn't make it correct.

My being correct trumps your driving in 66 ...:sSig_thankyou:

Last edited:
MMMMMaybe But the fact is, the nomenclature wasn't started until 65. That IS true. And you are right, all the bodies were there. But not in each division. So I suppose the same applies to the 63 and 64's. They weren't formerly called C's then, but the fact is, they were there also. So it still could be considered a C, pre-formal.

Let's not try to be so sarcastic next time.

Let's not try to be so sarcastic next time.

Since you so quickly pointed out I was from Jersey I didn't want to let you down.

And yes, pre the formal introduction would be a way to make a whole lot considered C bodies.

A C-45 isn't a C body?

Guys,my 1949 Chrysler Windsor is listed by Chrysler as a C-45.

Why doesn't it qualify for this board?

C body guys don't discriminate and include all full size Chrysler products to their boards, yours is welcome of course. Its just not technically a C body.

Hey POLARACO, I had this same question when I came on board. Although not technically C bodies, I considered any fullsize unibody built 1960 and later a C. I understand folks not wanting to rewrite the Chrysler books and make any pre '65s C's but these folks are welcoming so Welcome Aboard.

You bought some 62 parts from me on ebay a right before Christmas in case my identity isn't know to you.

Nice Ride! Yup we've already beat this topic to death. Your full sized Mopar may not technically be a Cbody but we've glad to have you aboard :beerchug:.

Hey POLARACO, I had this same question when I came on board. Although not technically C bodies, I considered any fullsize unibody built 1960 and later a C. I understand folks not wanting to rewrite the Chrysler books and make any pre '65s C's but these folks are welcoming so Welcome Aboard.

You bought some 62 parts from me on ebay a right before Christmas in case my identity isn't know to you.

Oh yeah? What did I buy from you? I dropped a fortune on that car. . . But when done, it's gonna be sweet.

I have an excellent start. Rust free except for a quarter size gole in the passenger floor. Found the leak so that's over.

Its all up for debate. Since Chrysler didn't consider it a C body then the answer is NO. Call it full sized but not a C. Just because you remember them new and driving them in 1966 doesn't make it correct.

My being correct trumps your driving in 66 ...:sSig_thankyou:

I have to agree with that and I was driving them too, only probably earlier than Polarco! :frog:

Back