00A0A_4TOblyxgGjf_1200x900.jpg
00f0f_i2qZDs9MVDn_1200x900.jpg
00h0h_kiSPBG5B61x_1200x900.jpg
00I0I_dOspXLuvPdJ_1200x900.jpg
00i0i_j7ESXF67aW7_1200x900.jpg
00k0k_go2WgP6k82k_1200x900.jpg
00K0K_isIMGT4Jmqi_1200x900.jpg
00X0X_fGdTBEklCvI_1200x900.jpg

Hen's teeth, rocking horse poop, Plymouth Crickets. Not necessarily in that order. The Cricket is the much-maligned small car entry from Chrysler Corporation, brought in from England to compete with the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega and AMC Gremlin. Actually a way better, roomier car than any of them. Drives very nicely, even with the BW-35 automatic transmission. This was the last car engineered by Rootes, and it is a marvel. Weighs only 1900 lb., hence the sporty performance. Sold in the UK as the Hillman Avenger and extensively raced and rallied. Built for other markets for decades (ask a friend from Latin America or Brazil if they recognize it!) Styled by the boys in Detroit to fit in with the Chrysler lineup. Iconic styling note is the "hockey stick" taillights. Doomed to failure in the US due to inability to sort out quality issues back in England. Chrysler was selling the Mitsubishi-built Dodge Colt at the same time and it was easy to cut their losses by discontinuing the Cricket. Over 40,000 Crickets sold in the US, virtually none are left. Hagerty had the Cricket down as extinct until I reminded them that they were insuring mine.

I am selling this car because I have nowhere to keep it out of the weather. It is virtually rust free and almost totally complete. Needs restoration. It has a few issues, the most immediate being that I tore off the exhaust when I took it out of the barn. Will run, though hasn't been started in quite some time. It was driving until about three years ago. Call to discuss.

View 92 photos from four years ago on Picasa by following the link below:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive.../AF1QipM9rwiTHMRGtucGc0M-D1BKq3ndzKUlV3gWX9AK

Photos here from January 2017.

Comes with full twin carb setup that needs restoration too.

No titles in Connecticut on old cars; sold with bill of sale. Previously registered in my name. Price is firm; don't whine. Not negotiable. Call the phone number. No, you can't drive it home. Consult mapquest; Woodstock, Connecticut is far away from you.

00z0z_bTUH07IzIYe_1200x900.jpg

They were all that color....

I actually like it!

Woodstock isn't too far from me... haaa.. .. That'd be a hoot.

Nice to see it . . . thanks for posting!

Girl next door to me ended up w/ one of them, when she got married. Remember thinking back then that it was kind of a neat car . . . weird, but kinda neat, in a funky sort of way (hey, it was the 70s, man). Her Cricket was an odd kind of pale grayish-green, a 71 I think. Her father (who drove BIG Buicks) just about stroked-out when he first saw it, he was so mad.

BTY, anybody watch the British comedy "Keeping Up Appearances"? The unemployed brother-in-law uses a Hillman Avenger parked in the front yard as a dog house! Good for a laugh, every time I see it.

I think there is a thing on the window of the C.P. dealer that Kowalski passes in the beginning of vanishing point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back