Point vacuum advance canisters

70bigblockdodge

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Does anybody have a source for new vacuum advance canisters for a point distributor. Nothing seems to be available for anything prior to 72/electronic distributor.
IMG_20170512_201220106.jpg

The one on the left is a 70, the arm stays to the outside of the dist the one on right is for a electronic distributor. Electronic plate has two holes and can use either VA. The points distributor only has the hole to the outside only, although I was thinking of drilling it but screw that holds the points is close. No I do not want to buy a whole reman I have like 4-5 of them I don't need another one.

Does anybody have a source for new vacuum advance canisters for a point distributor. Nothing seems to be available for anything prior to 72/electronic distributor.
View attachment 124459
The one on the left is a 70, the arm stays to the outside of the dist the one on right is for a electronic distributor. Electronic plate has two holes and can use either VA. The points distributor only has the hole to the outside only, although I was thinking of drilling it but screw that holds the points is close. No I do not want to buy a whole reman I have like 4-5 of them I don't need another one.

Try contacting www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/distributors.htm or call 1-800-869-7301.

They are re-builders, but if you have the distributor number, they will usually sell you the parts you need.

Dave

I had to find NOS when I needed and had success on eBay.

I was able to find 3 listed on Rockauto.com under 1970 Dodge D200 with a 383. Standard makes them and they are also list on the Standard Motor Products web site.

Or just update to an electronic ignition. :poke:
But...But....But I have all these point distributors.
Actually I should but if there is any car I have that I would like to EFI it is this Charger and using Johnny Pace post about Mopar electronic not working well with EFI , I figured what the hell I will just throw a point distributor in and then upgrade later. Now I'm sucked into this PITA
I was able to find 3 listed on Rockauto.com under 1970 Dodge D200 with a 383. Standard makes them and they are also list on the Standard Motor Products web site.
Thanks arm is in the right position. I'm going to go put this through local auto parts system and see what I get with those numbers.

@Turboomni and others on points.

After my 500+ mile weekend at the Mopar Nats, I can say that my modified distributor worked well.
After no luck finding a V.A.C. with the arm pointing toward outside diameter I decided to modify the points plate to accept new "electronic V.A.C." with the arm bent inward. The electronic dist has both holes in the plate the pick up coil mounts to. I just center punched the point plate and drilled away. The arm lined up well and only needed to be filed down slightly shorter to not lift plate up when points are tightened down.
The vacuum advance works and I got 13-14 mpg out of the car except for some shenanigans on Saturday night, it needs some more fine tuning and the Eddy 1406 that is on there is a loaner so it will be going home.
I am extremely happy leaving this car on points it literally starts almost instantly every time, and I have no intention of racing this car and spinning the engine sky high so I doubt I'll ever see ignition sputter.
So for the cheap ***, stubborn, not willing to take" N/A "as a answer, get out your drill and center punch, put a little grease on the bit to control the shavings and modify away to readily available later V.A.C.

Back