points/electronic ignition and carb

Marian

Reaction score
This is probably and easy question but instead of goggle, I thought it would be easier to ask ya'll. Sooo..if I go to electronic ignition could I use the same Carter carb that is original to the car or would I have to get another carb? If I could use the original to the car, what would be the benefit of changing out the carb?

There is no need to change the carb as a result of converting to electronic ignition. I recently converted my 69 and left the carb as-is, instant improvement.

Alan

Leave the carb, electronic ign reduces maintenance, new carb is NEW usually bigger as your orig is most likely in the 500 cfm range.

I have an Eddy 1411 on the 440 in the Monaco. Easy to work on.
EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 750 CFM, ELECTRIC CHOKE CARBURETORS
CALIBRATED FOR ECONOMY WITH PERFORMANCE
Designed for 402 c.i.d. and larger engines with Edelbrock Performer manifolds and other brands of similar design, these carbs are recommended only for stock to Performer level applications. They are not recommended for use on RPM or Torker II intake manifolds. Calibrated 2% leaner than #1407. Provides excellent fuel economy when used on 454 c.i.d. Chevy and 460 c.i.d. Ford with Performer manifold. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Comes with: Metering Jets - Primary .110, Secondary .107; Metering Rods - .075 x .047; Step-Up Spring - orange (5" Hg). Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed, see Installation Items. For auto trans throttle lever adapters and more, see Tuning Accessories. These carburetors feature venturi diameters of 1-7/16" for the primary's and 1-9/16" for the secondary's. Throttle blade diameters are 1-11/16" for the primary's and of 1-11/16" diameter for the secondary's.
1411.jpg

Edelbrock Carb Linkage Adapters, Studs & Cable Extensions

Edelbrock 8021:
Throttle Kickdown Bracket

Chrysler/Dodge auto transmission
350-8021.jpg

Edelbrock 1481:

Gold Throttle Lever Adapter1966-Up ChryslerFor Performer or Thunder AVS CarbsAccepts cruise control
350-1481.jpg

Edelbrock Carburetor Adapters

Edelbrock 2697
Carburetor Adapter & Fuel Line KitMounts Edelbrock Square-Bore Carbs On Stock Q-Jet & Thermo-Quad ManifoldsIncludes All Necessary Installation Components.850" thick
350-2697.jpg

Edelbrock Carburetor Fuel Inlet Fitting
Inverted Flare Fitting5/8''-20 Male to 3/8'' Female
350-8090.jpg

Iam sorry just a matter of preference. I wouldn't run an edelbrock carb if it was given to me. Even the ones that have been properly tuned have been temperamental!! I would rather have a thermoquad, or Holley.

I'm running the Pertonix I, dont need to bypass the ballast resister. What a difference, I dont know why I waited so long to change over! If it's just a cruiser the Pertonix I will be just fine. Plus, I'm running a Holley Street Avenger 670 on my 440ci.

You can't beat the factory electronic ignition module and distributor for a street car, parts are available overnight at you local parts store. Total cost for me was $100.

2013-12-15_001.jpg

Alan

If you want to keep a more stock look than Pertronix is the way to go. I am using the Pertronix II with the upgraded coil and switched my plugs out to E3's. Rebuilt the original AFB and love it. When we first set everything up, we actually got the 383 to run at 510 RPM's but had to bump it up a little. Motor has about 106,000 and has never been touched.

This is probably and easy question but instead of goggle, I thought it would be easier to ask ya'll. Sooo..if I go to electronic ignition could I use the same Carter carb that is original to the car or would I have to get another carb? If I could use the original to the car, what would be the benefit of changing out the carb?

If you want to learn a little bit about carbs, try this:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0807_holley_carburetors_basics_guide/viewall.html

It's interesting and I learned a few things.

Back