Polaraco Gets a New Roof

Polaraco

Reaction score
The water got behind the vinyl top and made a real mess. It was starting to turn into a Convertible Sedan. There is a few rot throughs, but in weird, out of sight places in the door jambs.

Figured I better get this done while the weather is still good. Then I cn dive back into the 62 and nibble at the small jobs on this.

I started on the worst and hardest part first. Apparently this car got a new roof sometime in it's life. I have suspected major work since I got it. The body filler was all cracked. I see why. There was about 4" that weren't welded. I'll have it primed tomorrow.

Painting the roof this time, white. That's what I wanted to do in the first place, but got talked into the vinyl top.

100_0184.JPG

100_0185.JPG

100_0186.JPG

100_0187.JPG

Going to Mars and back is easier than the dash project...
You can at least do a roof project standing up.

But I like the rush of blood shooting to my head. That's why I am what I am today. AFU thanks to the strokes. Now if I could just get my lazy arse out of bed. I sleep 16 hours. Not very good

Hind site says you are right. But I love this dash in there. That's what it was all about. It looks allot more elegant in there. Now I need to put a new carpet in.

Short has not been an issue since I hit the road. Been driving it daily.

Did I tell you I was working in a Body Shop Part time? He's going to blow on the color for me

Was jumping between 3 projects today and got a late start. Bit I was able to get the flat done. Tomorrow I'll tackle the main part. I'll have the rear window removed to do the channel and the rot below the separation molding. It will take longer to strip that channel than to do the whole roof!

The wind kept tearing my masking. I finally got fed up. I'll just 00 steel wool the back window to get the over spray off.

100_0189.JPG

Looks familiar, however, instead of any rot just 4 pinhead pinholes to be sealed up. Going cheap by using filler instead of lead is what eventually leads to this. That trough for the lower rear window channel is made to order for pooling water and all kinds of loose debris in any Fusie car. Solved both those issues for good.

Polara_top_001.jpg

Polara_top_006.jpg

Polara_top_009.jpg

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

I did that 6 years ago on my 72. I likes the front of the 72, but hated the rear bumper. I bolted a Monaco rear bumper on. Hence Polaraco. I did a frame off and it's been my daily driver since. I think I put about 60K on it. It's been reliable as hell. Mine has a 5.9 Magnum with multiport and a 518 trans

That would look great with a formal dash in it. :yaayy: Commando1 will have something else to say about that. LOL

Did the painting today. Temperature under the cover of 85 degrees. Wind was dead calm. Used PPG Concept Single Stage and split my reducer between their warm and hot. Had 1 gallon of paint and used only 3 quarts of it to paint the entire car with 3 coats. My HVLP 4 stage turbine doesn't waste paint. Tried a little difference this time. When I spray small sections like jambs I have the fan set tight and my volume out 4 turns. This always lays down nicely. With a larger fan I always got some OP with the volume up a little. So I adjusted the volume all the way out till it hit the handle and then turned back in a little.

Started at the top front fender and all went well. When I hit the driver's door I must have been moving a my slower pace from previous experience and I could see runs forming within 2 minutes of laying down the paint. All the runs are just below the body line on the two doors. The 2nd and 3rd coats went fine as I picked up my speed some. Must be 30 of them. Well shave them off, sand level with maybe 600, then 1500 clear coat disc. Was going to go over the car with a clear coat disc anyway so this is an extra step. With 3 coats I have room to play with in color sanding. This is what I'll be doing on Wednesday.

Here are some quick pics as the sun was going down. Oh, the paint was dry in 4 hours due to the 85 degrees. At 70 degrees it would have been 6-8 hours but a 10 degree increase will cut that time in half. Good and bad since pot life is cut in half also.

Polara_body_017.jpg

Polara_body_018.jpg

Polara_body_013.jpg

Polara_body_019.jpg

Polara_body_022.jpg

I had the back glass taken out today and rush home to get started on the channel. Didn't know what I was getting into. Turned out to be not as bad as I expected, the holes were no bigger than the last time. But they were leaking water in the trunk. I found out the hard way when I laid in there to remove the molding strip. Which is still on. Heh

After grinding everything to bare metal, treated it with rust converter, sanded it again, applied some etching primer, let it cure, and put some All Metal in the channel. Realizing its all fiberglass and aluminum I decided I would coat the whole lower track with it and create a plastic bowl so to speak. Once I get the sealer primer on there, scuff that up and paint it, I doubt this will ever happen again. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of the before. I went in to get the camera and forgot why I went in. Sat and watched TV instead.
smiley36.gif

100_0204.JPG

The guy at the paint shop I use is 70 years old. He's done a few Mopars in his days too. He showed me his Coronet which he just took off the road last year because of a tired trans. He had the exact same problem in the rear window and like Polaraco, sat out side 24/7. I remember him doing this car some 20 years ago. It was a Jersey shore car, so salt was always around it. What a rot box it was. But Cecil got right into it, making most of his own panels. Today the chrome is dead, and the interior is tattered, but the car has almost 200K on it. It's a 383 4BBL Sedan with air and odd things like power windows and cloth interior. That's why he bought it. Funny I can remember him doing that car vividly when I can't remember allot of other history.

Anyway There wasn't a spot of rust anywhere.

This is what he told me to do.

Grind out the areas and back away from the areas which have surface rust and craters.
Wipe with acetone to get any greases out.
wipe the area with a rust converter, making sure it is well into the craters. Let dry.
Next, sand the surface to get the residue off.
Prime the whole area with a 2 part etching primer. I use the DuPont. (They didn't have etching primer 20years ago)
Fill the area with a non talc compound, like Gorilla Hair or Equal. I like the USC stuff but can't remember the name of it now.
Sand, shape, feather accordingly
Apply a sealer primer. After 4 hours you can wet sand it. Don't cut into the metal. If you do, you need to reapply the primers.
Paint it before 24 hours. If it's after 24, you need to make sure the whole thing is wet sanded, at least with a 400, 600.

In my case, the area is not scene. and the edges will be painted over anyway. Once the window is in, I can paint the roof. But the paint needs to be at least 36 hours old before the glass goes back in. In the case of the window channel, he said not to make it too thick.

It's expensive, but it makes allot of sense.

So I have been following that procedure and the job is completed. I brushed in all the layers so that it will be fully cured Monday.

This was the last 2 pics I took. The rains came and cancelled the last pics until tomorrow. All this will be feathered out and maybe primed by tomorrow night.

I had to write everything down several times and check each function off so I wouldn't forget. If Cecil is right, I will never see rust there again. Of Course there won't be a vinyl top either.
smiley4.gif

100_0206.JPG

100_0207.JPG

One had rotted free. There's none on the curve. The rest, important ones, are there. The trim is held down by speed nuts across the back.

This car had new quarters put on it years ago. I doubt they are all where they are supposed to be.

Cecil is wise...and thank you steve for posting up that information. It will be going into my black book so I can access it when needed.

After the last picture I finished the feathering, and re-shot the etching primer. It cures quickly so I put in all new molding clips. Just as I was starting to clean up, ie. blow out the interior, we got another down pour. I managed to get the cover on the car before it got too bad. But now I have to wash everything inside.
smiley36.gif

I'll get into this next. Once this is done, everything will go quick. This damage is from the top as well. Similar damage on the other side, but not as bad. Rusted from the outside in.

100_0208.JPG

100_0209.JPG

100_0210.JPG

Back